Sagebrush Steve

Amazing stuff!  Wouldn’t want to come across one of those pterosaurs!

doushantuo

eudgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

doushantuo

I have my doubts about the "archegosaur"...

park2sajbldwifllist.jpg

Betting my bottom dollar director Steve S. knew about this one

jpenn
4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Mioplosus labracoides, believed to have been a voracious freshwater predator.  It is related to the modern-day Zander (pike-perch) and comes from the famous Green River Shales of Wyoming. Eocene, 57 million years old.

DV0r3pVXcAAjcJe.jpeg.783fbbf4acbfaab489501cf7eb9f478b.jpeg

More familiar to North American anglers (especially in the Great Lakes region) Mioplosus' related genus of Sander includes the Walleye (Sander vitreus). Having caught more than a few the resemblance between Mioplosus and the walleye is strong, especially with the spiny first dorsal fin. Included is a Mioplosus of my own.

20180302_102521.jpg

jpenn
4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Paleoniscoids were a group of extinct fishes with heterocercal tails and diamond-shaped ganoid scales. Pteronisculus cicatrosus (~7.1cm) is a marine fish from the Ambilobe region in northern Madagascar, Lower Triassic 240 million years old

DU6NFZtXcAAzR5r.jpeg.87da271f0c1360e85f1346b90188d055.jpeg

Oh hey, I have a Madagascan Pteronisculus as well! I love Middle Sakamena Formation nodule fossils, a biota still in recovery from the Permo-Triassic extinction. I'd put a date closer to about 250-247 million on them from what I have read. I'm not entirely sure the quoted fish is Pteronisculus, Triassic Early Fish Fauna of Madagascar has many similar-appearing species and I'm seeing more of a Parasemionotus with that one.

Here's mine, with the smaller ganoid scales I'd espect from Pteronisculus.

20180302_103049.jpg

Bobby Rico

Sorry I am a bit late to the party this week but I like to add to the Sinclair dinos that we’re  at the 1964 world’s Fair . I have a old oil can that illustrates the dinosaurs that maybe swimming around in our gas tanks but never made the contentions to the world’s fair.  Thanks everyone and I love that ammonite with the bit marks  .

056EC6C2-6D22-4B4C-81CC-A352FD2BAA74.jpeg

Tidgy's Dad
On 3/2/2018 at 11:47 AM, Troodon said:

Will start off this week with a  "did you know subject"

Did you know 

That we are closer to the time of the T-rex than T-rex was to the time of the Stegosaurus, Allosaurus and Diplodocus 

A specimen of Beothikus mistakensis, an Ediacaran rangeomorph organism, from Spaniard's Bay, Newfoundland. This is what life looked like, on the deep sea floor, 570 million years ago

DWo6Pg-XcAA5UmM.thumb.jpeg.ad1a046a5599def23dc81e1304472ed2.jpeg

My own specimen of a rangeomorph holdfast Medusina mawsoni from the Rawnsley Quartzite, Ediacara Formation, Flinders Range, South Australia.

It was originally though to be a jellyfish, hence the name. 

Medusina2.thumb.jpg.9f5f30e86cbef067be96d7e53d088728.jpg

Medusina1.thumb.jpg.bedf22d0d0d13bef3562239ba1b5ad5b.jpg

Sagebrush Steve
19 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry I am a bit late to the party this week but I like to add to the Sinclair dinos that we’re  at the 1964 world’s Fair . I have a old oil can that illustrates the dinosaurs that maybe swimming around in our gas tanks but never made the contentions to the world’s fair.  Thanks everyone and I love that ammonite with the bit marks  .

056EC6C2-6D22-4B4C-81CC-A352FD2BAA74.jpeg

Yes, and because of their advertising campaign for many years I really thought oil came from dinosaurs.  I always wondered how such rare fossil specimens could produce so much oil.

doushantuo

Some good pics here .The big fish paints a very eloquent picture and is hugely(literally:P) impressive.

Tidgy's Dad
5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Ctenothrissa vexillifer is a deep-bodied reef fish that disappeared after the Upper Cretaceous (99.7 to 94.3 mya), leaving no descendants. Sahel Alma, Lebanon

DXQ8lJ3XcAEaWi-.thumb.jpeg.e38b291acbe0521ac18217ea92b3a03d.jpeg

The Nottingham Ichthyosaur had been hiding in a geology store for decades, and is now on display in the Life Sciences Building.

DXS9iNPXkAAFdeP.thumb.jpeg.a90d8098e08a4fd16de5dbdd4efee7bb.jpeg

Very close cousin to dinosaurs the triassic archosaur, Asilisaurus kongwe a composite cast at the Burke Museum

DXUaGoSVAAAX3_k.thumb.jpeg.862a99d014df6eef96b07b193e6219df.jpeg

Great selection of photos as usual. :)

But i would like to point out that those shown above all seem to have black eyes! 

Who is going about punching prehistoric animals? 

ynot

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::faint::thumbsu::1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

oldtimer

@Troodon You never cease to amaze me on Fridays and you have done it again.

Fantastic  pictures. I don't know where you come up with them but thanks for posting.

I love the picture showing the differences in the Ammonoids.

Malone

Absolutely amazing! Generations will benefit from all your efforts to preserve these works of art!

Troodon

Thank you oldtimer for your contributions last weeks Dinosaur Friday