SheLovesFossils

Head shield, and eyes of cephalaspis, and other dermal bones or plates, spines, of armored Devonian fish. In various stages of development. From the Knoydart Formation, Nova Scotia. This formation is similar to that of the "old red sandstone" of Europe, similar in fossils and mode of preservation. I do not know much yet of Devonian fish fossils, if anyone can comment and let me know more about these that would be great! Thank you. These are my first vertebrate fossils that I have found, last week. I have only ever found invertebrates. 

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that these are fish. The eyes of placoderms can fossilise (the bone inside them), but usually not in this kind of rock(?). Also, the bones of placoderms usually have a ridgy texture or are covered in small bumps, which I'm not seeing here. #6 and #7 could be a worm burrow.

37 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that these are fish. The eyes of placoderms can fossilise (the bone inside them), but usually not in this kind of rock(?). Also, the bones of placoderms usually have a ridgy texture or are covered in small bumps, which I'm not seeing here. #6 and #7 could be a worm burrow.

I have many specimens, will post some more tomorrow of the more bumpy ones for you. They Knoydart Formation is red sandstone, but this can vary in degrees of lightness, or could be more dark. 

I suppose you already have these documents, if not, maybe they help a little. :)

doc 1

doc 2

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I suppose you already have these documents, if not, maybe they help a little. :)

doc 1

doc 2

Thank you! Yes, I have one document but not the booklet one, it is wonderful. Thank you for sharing! I am on a Devonian learning curve, and I am very happy :)

Adding a few more photos of specimens from the Knoydart Formation, McArras Brook Nova Scotia. Devonian armored fish plates.:tff:

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

On 10.12.2017 at 10:06 PM, Foozil said:

Deposition circumstances around the world can vary greatly, hence same fossil in for us unusual matrix.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/