kerrimarie805

20171212_062418.thumb.jpg.e935602de42820689edc5997a13e7e94.jpgI now understand that these are likely molds, but of what I don't know. I am learning a great deal, though, and am so glad to have found this place!20171212_062136.thumb.jpg.6fe13ba71fbf857928954091fea16a15.jpg20171212_062225.thumb.jpg.67e614b9a6b9886b2d4685d262284650.jpg

I agree with the ID. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, KraZshardLady said:

Are these next two just different ends of a crinoid?

I think the top one is a segment of stem exposed from the side. Ligaments held segments consisting of a varying number of columnals together long enough for them to preserve as a unit. What you see is the space in the center, the lumem, as a natural cast within the columnal (side on) moulds.

34 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'd vote for this spelling myself.

British, if I'm not mistaken ? 

I think of the musician, Bob Mould, when I use that spelling. I have to do what I can to keep my rocks in the right rolls!

I also think of Bob when I see the British spelling.  Funny you should mention him... I just saw him play a couple nights ago... opened up for the Foo Fighters, aka the Dave Grohl Experience right here in Casper, Wyoming .  Bob still rocks it at his age (same as mine) and even played us my favorite Husker Du song.  But hey, this is a forum about fossils.  

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I'd vote for this spelling myself.

British, if I'm not mistaken ? 

Indeed. :D Googling around, I see that some people say that all American meanings of mold/mould are u-less while some restrict "mould" to the non-fungus sort. 

Tarquin

6 hours ago, jpc said:

I also think of Bob when I see the British spelling.  Funny you should mention him... I just saw him play a couple nights ago... opened up for the Foo Fighters, aka the Dave Grohl Experience right here in Casper, Wyoming .  Bob still rocks it at his age (same as mine) and even played us my favorite Husker Du song.  But hey, this is a forum about fossils.  

That's funny, too, as we moved to Pennsylvania from Cheyenne! I finished my degree in Laramie, small world. I'm a tad jealous as I've never seen Bob Mould live and he's playing at a small venue here, or just did, and I'm missing him again!