Have Any "antique" Fossils?

Auspex

A thread of this nature was alluded to in another topic today; if you have something in your collection that was found long ago, please post a pic and share it's story. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A thread of this nature was alluded to in another topic today; if you have something in your collection that was found long ago, please post a pic and share it's story. :)

Great idea, I wish I still had the "tooth" I found when I was nine years old. It was 25 miles from my present location, I now know that it was a horn coral, but back in 1969, I was positive I had found a tooth!

Guest solius symbiosus

I was at "my" Dept. today taking care of some business, and I had the opportunity to see a few examples of Burgess Shale fauna that were collected by the man himself... Charles Doolittle Walcott.

The first chairman of the Dept., a Dr. Miller(don't know his first name), bartered these from Walcott in exchange for some local fauna.

Unfortunately, I only had my cell phone, and most of the pics didn't turn out very well, so I deleted them. I kept two, and they are also very poor, but one can make out the outlines.

The next time I am down there, I will bring a camera.

Canadaspis sp.

post-179-12602346844289_thumb.jpg

Anomalocaris sp.

post-179-12602346465999_thumb.jpg

someone on the forum posted pictures of fossil he had, they were all from a collector and were in a book. I forgot who it was but they sure fit right in with this topic.

As for me I was a guide at the Walters Art Gallery when they opened up a new exhibit, what does this have to do with fossils, well one of my stops was at a display that had fossils from a few collectors that have since passed away, the next time i get down there ill be sure to take pictures.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

someone on the forum posted pictures of fossil he had, they were all from a collector and were in a book. I forgot who it was but they sure fit right in with this topic.

I remember that; if anyone comes across it, post a link to the thread here!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The only item in my collection that remotely qualifies for the topic is more artifact than fossil:

post-423-1249076521_thumb.jpg

It is an awl (made from a turkey bone) from the Feurt Mounds and Village Site, in Ohio.

The site was excavated in 1916, and this specimen was used to illustrate a book on the site.

Provenance is not a word you hear much in the world of fossil collecting. But its a very important word in the antique and artifact world. Knowing the history of a piece adds value to it. I bet there are lots of fossils out there that were found in 1800 and early 1900's that the owner has no clue of were they have been.

With the number of fakes and stolen fossils on the market today the day is coming when it will be hard to sale high end fossils without a clean provenance.

Brent thanks for the link very interesting

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

My whole collection qualifies! :P

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

My whole collection qualifies! :P

Actually, Mike, a lot of your stuff qualifies as "sub-antique", and is certainly a legacy!

Please, share at will :)

Actually, Mike, a lot of your stuff qualifies as "sub-antique", and is certainly a legacy!

Please, share at will :)

You know, one could take "sub-antique" the wrong way, one could read into that as a dispersion to my advanced years - - - - Naw, I know better, just kidding! When the "new" board is implemented & I can post photos in the 1MB to 2MB range I will start sharing. Also, I have slides & negatives I have to get digitalized(sp?) & that will take some time, as they cost a dollar a pop. I have more Heath Mosasaur photos that I can't post now due to the Gallery not accepting any photo over 1MB. There should be many members who can post their early finds. Should be fun. :D

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

My great Uncle CP who lived out in East TX was a fossil collector and rock hound. I loved going to his house to visit. The whole upstairs part of the house was nothing but boxes and boxes of fossils, gems and cool minerals. the porch and outside of his house was a treasure trove to behold and I never ever got bored at his house.

I would always collect rocks that I thought were cool and he would slice them open for me with his giant rock saw. He had so many wonderful minerals and fossils and he shared lots of them with me. Unfortunately, I don't have very many of them left. Over the years many of them have been lost or just stolen. He did give me this one really pretty little polished rock for my 11th birthday that I always kept put up until recently. Ron was in visiting back in May I asked him what it might be, he informed me I had a nice little piece of palm wood on my hands. It's the only piece I have to this day. I remember my uncle telling me to always take care of it since it had been his when he was a kid. He said it was his worry stone. My uncle was in his 70's when he gave this to me and I think he was trying to pass something on down to someone he hoped would appreciate it.

post-1082-1249158279_thumb.jpg

My uncle CP passed away about 8yrs ago up in Missouri. He was the man who started my love and fascination with fossils and minerals. I wish I could have thanked him when he was living for giving me such a wonderful gift.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

...I wish I could have thanked him when he was living for giving me such a wonderful gift.

I bet he knew :)

Guest solius symbiosus
Provenance is not a word you hear much in the world of fossil collecting. But its a very important word in the antique and artifact world. Knowing the history of a piece adds value to it. I bet there are lots of fossils out there that were found in 1800 and early 1900's that the owner has no clue of were they have been.

With the number of fakes and stolen fossils on the market today the day is coming when it will be hard to sale high end fossils without a clean provenance.

Brent thanks for the link very interesting

Actually, without provenance, a fossil is really little more than just a rock. That is, it has no significance.

Provenance is not a word you hear much in the world of fossil collecting.

This statement kinda begs the question: would you pay a premium for a specimen from a famous collection/collector?

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

This statement kinda begs the question: would you pay a premium for a specimen from a famous collection/collector?

I would, absolutely!

Yes I would pay much more. Provenance is very important in most collecting fields and will be in fossils also.

Barefoot nice palm wood and great story. Thanks

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest solius symbiosus
Yes I would pay much more. Provenance is very important in most collecting fields and will be in fossils also.

Barefoot nice palm wood and great story. Thanks

Once again, while provenance might not be important to those that just like to display a pretty rock on a shelf, it is very important to serious amateurs and professionals.