Omnomosaurus

Hi folks!

Thought I might try leaning on the expertise of the forum gurus - I've owned this tooth for a few years and would like to hear any opinions of what the specimen should be classed as.

It was sold as Daspletosaurus Torosus, but I'm aware of how hard it can be to label Tyrannosaur teeth (or just leave them as 'indet'). The tooth originated from Alberta, Canada.

As it isn't the clearest to see, the denticles (which are very fine and equal in size on both sides) on the anterior edge curve off to the right (viewing the tooth face on), whilst the posterior serrated line is straight.

PS: Apologies for the quality of photos too...my phone doesn't enjoy photographing anything magnified.

IMG_20171215_182510312.jpg

IMG_20171215_182542387.jpg

IMG_20171215_182608925.jpg

IMG_20171215_182626211.jpg

IMG_20171215_181912452.jpg

IMG_20171215_181837997.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It's a tyrannosaurid tooth nice one.  Do you have the formation it's from or specific locality in Alberta where it was found?

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Troodon said:

It's a tyrannosaurid tooth nice one.  Do you have the formation it's from or specific locality in Alberta it was found

Thank you Troodon. I had hoped you would see the post!

I don't have the exact formation unfortunately, but I believe it's from southern Alberta, so maybe Old Man, due to the size of that formation?

If it's the Oldman it's either Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus.   The morphology of teeth your size are difficult to diagnose beyond that.

That's what I was afraid of. Oldman is only a slightly informed guess on my part, so just confirmation of it being tyrannosaurid is the best I could've really hoped for - thank you for that.

If it's Dinosaur Park Fm or anything associated with the Belly River Group still the same answer.  It would change if you knew it was from younger sediments.  Hey very nice tooth and nothing wrong calling it Tyrannosaurid indet or just settle on one for friends and family. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Troodon! Family and friends are lost with hearing anything beyond "Tyrannosaur", so I'll happily label it as Tyrannosaurid Indet and let it retain some of the mystery. :ighappy:

Just out of curiosity, what would it have meant for the tooth, had it come from the younger sediments?

Well if it was in the Red Deer River valley associated with the Horseshoe Canyon Formation, Albertosaurus would be my call and younger now you are getting into Rex country but your tooth is not Rex.

• I found this Informative 2

Ah, thank you for that. If I ever spot anything for sale from that locality, I'll remember to keep Albertosaurus in mind. Totally agree - that's definitely one thing to be thankful for with Rex; it can be much easier to identify than the other tyrannosaurids!