Belemnite little oddities...

Crann

Hi, sat having my coffee and browsing my fossil candle tray and noticed some little oddities on a belemnite, any ideas ? Not seen these before, possible feeders ? Cheers.

20171221_092455.jpg

20171221_092022.jpg

20171221_092039.jpg

42 minutes ago, TqB said:

Modern barnacles, or do you mean the pale patches on the sides?

I didn't think modern, thought looked like fossilized together, cheers.

2 hours ago, Crann said:

I didn't think modern, thought looked like fossilized together, cheers.

They do squeeze themselves in. :) I've never heard of a fossil barnacle from around there, sea at the time was too deep I suppose.

Tarquin

2 hours ago, TqB said:

They do squeeze themselves in. :) I've never heard of a fossil barnacle from around there, sea at the time was too deep I suppose.

We will say it's a world's first, you have my permission to make a t shirt with me on the front. Cheers

"The appearance of the belemnites on the geologic scene was another evolutionary challenge to boring barnacles. The solid calcitic rostrum made an ideal substrate for borers provided they would content themselves with living in dead substrates. The guards of live belemnites, on the other hand, would appear unsuited for acrothoracican settlement, because they belong to the nectonic realm, and were presumably covered by soft parts. Both difficulties were overcome. In shallow marine deposits of Jurassic and Cretaceous age, post-mortem barnacle borings on belemnite rostra are very common (Codez and Saint-Seine, 1957). They are usually clustered on the side that happened to lie on top. No alignment of the slit-like opening can be recognized. This situation is in contrast to barnacle borings on rostra of belemnite genera of the Upper Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous, Hibolites, Neohibolites, and Duvalia (Seilacher, 1968). In this case the borings are evenly distributed over the whole surface and have a uniform orientation. They probably settled on the rostra of adult live belemnites, aligning their borings in such a way that the extended cirri faced the water flowing past the swimming host. "

reference: A. Seilacher. 1969. Paleoecology of Boring Barnacles. American Zoologist, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 705-719

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library