Leptauchenia partial skeleton

PalaeoArt

I was wondering if anyone could help ID two strange parts of this partial Leptauchenia fossilised skeleton. I've been prepping the bones out of the matrix (which is only a 15%-20% skeleton), but the skull is incredibly complete with all teeth. I've put a photo showing the bones I've identified against a reconstruction by Sinclair in 1910, but there are two strange objects I can't ID. These are of a texture that look more like teeth (than bones) and even seems to have some enamel-type gloss. They are more "claw-shaped" however and the skull isn't missing any teeth which is why I'm confused. The high gloss, smooth finish is whats confusing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4775 (1).jpg

IMG_4776 (1).jpg

IMG_4777 (1).jpg

They look like partial teeth portions to me,  probably from another animal since this Oreodont has all of it's teeth. You can also check them with a black light, the enamel should glow orange.

Are you positive that your skull has it canines?

@jpc what do you think?

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

They look like partial teeth portions to me,  probably from another animal since this Oreodont has all of it's teeth. You can also check them with a black light, the enamel should glow orange.

@jpc what do you think?

Yes, they do glow up like the enamel on the team under black light. As the skull isn't missing teeth (and these are larger), you are right, they must be teeth fragments from another animal. Thanks everyone. Case closed.

10 hours ago, Nimravis said:

@jpc what do you think?

I agree.

I just saw this... yes, teeth.  I often find bits of other animals when I prep out disatriculated White River stuff.  The best rabbit skull I ever found was in the process of excavating a camel neck.  Like these teeth... shouldn't have been there, but there they are.