Woehr's 2017 Paleo Meanderings

Uncle Siphuncle

2017 was a fun collecting year, but not without its challenges.  A ruptured water heater flooded part of our house, and as a DIY kind of guy, I tore out the flooring and put down travertine.  During this season of domesticity, I was forced to survive on gastropods alone as they occasionally presented in the travertine.

0.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Eventually I did make it to the field, and over the course of the year faced off with what the field presents, some predictable, some not.  The guys trying to steal my old truck didn't expect to find a heavy chain padlocked between my steering wheel and passenger side door handle, and fortunately abandoned their efforts.

3.JPG

2.jpg

1.jpg

Grüße,

Now on to the fun part.  But first, a word from our sponsors.  While I do have some sites that I share with folks on occasion, unfortunately, the sites involved in this report didn't make that list.  Some are places where I'm piecing together a single animal, while others were friends' honey holes shared with me in strict confidence.  Thanks for understanding and respecting.

The photos to follow aren't intended to show everything for the year, but rather to highlight what what had personal significance:  First finds with new friends, last finds with established friends, finds with my kid, scientific significance vs. aesthetics, diminutive vs. superlative.  So please enjoy the window into my year's meanderings.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Texas feels like Hades in summer, so my boy and I flew up to Seattle to beat the heat, transition some online friendships to the physical realm, and perhaps score a few fossils.  Scott Guthrie, AKA CH4ShotCaller here on the Forum, is someone I've been shooting back and forth with for years.  When he offered to take Weston and me out crabbing, I accepted, and arrived with a lovely assortment of Texas fossils in hand.  Scott is a great guy and took me to sites he said he's taken no one else to in 10 years.  I assured him that his secrets were safe with me.  Let's take a look at the prep sequence of one of my better Megokkos macrospinus below.

6.jpg

5.JPG

4.jpg

Grüße,

We got a number of Pulalius vulgaris crabs from the Lincoln Creek Formation throughout the size range.  Greatest promise came with the big ole tater sized concretions I was lucky to blind mine.  Although I'll need to add finished pics later in this thread, let's have a look at the prep sequence as it stands.  

8.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Grüße,

The process continues...

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Grüße,

It took me 6 months of lunch hours out behind our building with my air scribe to work through the pile of crab nodules.  I'm glad I started with the questionable ones first to build up skill and patience before attempting this Pulalius.  I also saw the need to buy a magnifying visor so as not to scar the specimen in process.  Guys that prep these crabs all the time possess a level of skill and patience that I struggled to emulate.  Hats off to them.

18.jpg

19.JPG

21.jpg

22.jpg

Grüße,

After cementing my friendship with Scott, Weston and I took the ferry over to Vancouver Island for an afternoon of collecting with Skippy the Fossil Freak, slogging around a local river with him and his dog, Shadow.  Skippy was great fun in the field, as was Shadow.  That dog actually tried to take one of my ammonites away, and acted like I was pulling a steak from his mouth as I attempted to retrieve it.  And the river was so cool and clean and clear, we drank out of it...something I wouldn't attempt in the Trinity River back in Texas.  We found some partial heteromorphic ammonites Bostrychoceras among other things, which still require prep.

From there we all rolled over to the White Whale, where Rick Ross (fossisle) met us for dinner.  The fried oyster and pork belly sandwich was my favorite meal of the whole trip.  I should have eaten two of them.  But even at one, I had no room for poutine, eh.  

I'm looking forward to a return trip for another sandwich as well as a tour of Rick's extensive collection, which we were too whipped out tired to see this round.

23.JPG

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.JPG

27.jpg

Grüße,

A trip to South Florida during the dry season also brought a cornucopia of paleo goodies.  First round was with my good friend Rob Carlson in the Peace River.  Second leg of the trip also with Rob, shifting to the Inglis Fm for Eocene echinoids.  The final leg was with our own Root Admin, Cris, in another productive waterway.  I arrived with a pile of Texas fossils, and went home with an embarrassment of riches from Florida.  Anytime I can hand off Eos and come home with something smaller, cooler, and easier to store is a win in my book.  Let's look at some FL finds.

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

33.JPG

Grüße,

A few more.  I'm rather fond of the Holmesina claw core.

34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.jpg

Grüße,

A few more personal firsts.  Turtle jaw.  Tortoise spurs.  Javelina hoof core.

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

42.JPG

43.JPG

Grüße,

Now, moving on to the echinoids.  Mostly Eutapagus antillarum, but also a Cassidulus in matrix with a big gastropod (Volutamorpha?).  Not pictured, Rhycholampas gouldi.

45.jpg

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

50.JPG

53.JPG

Grüße,

Back to Texas.  Let's look at some Eocene stuff.  Gar scale, Lepisosteus.  Cutlass fish teeth.  Bivalves, maybe Venericardia.

55.JPG

56.JPG

56b.JPG

Grüße,

Let's go back to the Cretaceous.  Upper Cretaceous, to be exact.  From the Texas Maastrichtian, a rare Dakoticancer australis with claws, and a Pachydiscus c.f. maconensis.  Both made it to the cabinet.

57.jpg

58.JPG

59.JPG

60.JPG

61.jpg

Grüße,

Wow Dan, That was an amazing summary of the years finds.  I naturally tuned into those lovely crab specimens.  Glad Scott took you out to see some secret spots and looks like you got some very nice specimens.  That Pulalius is soooo lovely with those colors and had many legs down to the tippy tips.  Nice prep.  A trip out with Skippy is a real hoot and he has an amazing collection too.  Hope you had a chance to see it. Too bad you didn't get the chance to see Rick's collection, but he is a great guy.  That Florida collection is truly amazing.   A WOW of a year.

Here's another Upper K ammonite.  Nothing ground breaking.  Significance:  I found it while my wife sent me out shopping.  I haven't tried to ID it yet.  Might start first by comparing with Texanites.

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Grüße,

More Upper K.  First, a rough echinoid Cardiaster deciper from the Campanian.  Donated to the MMNS.  Next, a mosasaur vert.  Condition is nothing special, Significance:  First time I visited the site while exploring on a whim nowhere near the NSR.  Not from the Ozan either.  I get a big kick out of not following the crowd while pursuing my own hunches.

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

Grüße,

I dabbled a bit in the Lower K too, mainly for echinoids, most of which are not yet microblasted, so I'll just show a few things in the raw.

First, a rare and cute little Protengonoceras ammonite from the Glen Rose Formation.

Next, what I believe may be a starfish arm, also from the Glen Rose.

Third, a nice Leptosalenia texana echinoid as found by my friend James Cox (jgcox here on TFF).  Sadly, he passed away in his sleep from a heart attack a few weeks after his Texas trip.

Last, a nice Phymosoma texanum echinoid along a Heteraster texanus bedazzled with marcasite (?).  Some friends rolling through from Europe had an open time slot in their itinerary, so I took them to a site I had rested for over a year.  Together we foiund 100 Phymosoma.  Good times!

65.jpg

66.jpg

66b.jpg

67.jpg

Grüße,

While meandering around the Miocene, I scored a few vert finds including a Pseudohipparion upper molar and distal metapodial as well as some Trionyx turtle frags.  Quite pleased with these additions as the Miocene has rather poor surface expression in TX.

72.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

Grüße,

But my Hoss King Daddy find in the Miocene this year was this fetching 17-18 inch, complete camel radioulna, possibly Alticamelus.

Significance:

1.  It's Miocene

2.  It's complete

3.  Great preservation

4.  Dug out of the bedded formation

5.  New site found while exploring off the beaten path

6,  Note the opposing bite marks on the proximal end (elbow)

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

Grüße,