Palaeogaleus or Galeorhinus

Hipockets

Truthfully I've seen a number of researchers over the years switch species back and forth between Palaeogaleus and Galeorhinus.  Palaeogaleus is an extinct triakid genus which had a dentition similar to both the extant Galeorhinus and Triakis genera with tooth features similar to both  All are houndsharks.  So I wouldn't be hung up on the genus of your specimen.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thanks Eric and Marco. It looks like it could be an eocene pachygaleus lefevrei that found its way down to the Pee Dee. After talking with Plax, he is more familiar with the site than I , he has found eocene material mixed in from time to time.

• I found this Informative 1

Am actually thinking that the one pictured in the ICM Paper (thanks aldente) looks more like your specimen than the one pictured as Pachygaleus in

A new elasmobranch assemblage from the early Eocene (Ypresian)
Fishburne Formation of Berkeley County, South Carolina, USA
Gerard R. Case, Todd D. Cook, and Mark V.H. Wilson

There is Eocene material at the site for sure as it's a mixed lag but am not sure of the strictly diagnostic features of either of these taxa are. Perhaps Marco says it best.