Is this even a fossil?

Rank Amateur

Thanks to your patience, I have learned a little about trilobites, ammonites and other antiquities of past ages. I can not begin to guess what this picture is, however. I got this in an estate, with no record of where it came from. I don't know if this was found at a beach, in a shale or clay foundation, or where. I do not know what the skeleton of this creature is, whether it be shell, bone or fossilized material. It does seem very fragile, however. I hold my breath when I carry this. It is about 11 cm (4½") long. Thank you, everyone. Belated Happy New Year, too.

Fossil ~ Alien Pic1.jpg

A spiny murex, I believe, beautiful but not a fossil, actually a type of sea snail.

Lovely.

Welcome to TFF

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That is not a fossil. It's a seashell, and a gorgeous one too. A Venus comb shell , probably from the species Murex pecten. Nice specimen! Just a shame though that it doesn't say exactly where it comes from, but it's likely from the Indo-Pacific Oceans region, and was likely found by someone that was diving for them. Beware though, because it is possible that some of the spines are a bit restored; hopefully not. 

I got one too, and like it a lot. 

Happy New Year to you too!

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

A spiny murex, I believe, beautiful but not a fossil, actually a type of sea snail.

Lovely.

Welcome to TFF

Gah, you just beat me to it! :P

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

100% modern murex. Agree with Tidgy.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Gah, you just beat me to it! :P

But I agree with your more informative post, i was just hurrying to get in first! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

But I agree with your more informative post, i was just hurrying to get in first! :D

Haha :ighappy:

Max Derème

a comparative one almost in the same position

5a4d39a84869d_FossilAlienPic1.jpg.61d391f95f4d5ba263d6d778a039c8fb.thumb.jpg.c5a1131009ea0d0795b70f2a46c43025.jpgmurex_451815007.jpg.766e03ccdb433ec63da54cee9378133b.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library