Troodon

My Jurassic Park - Birds/Ptero/Unknown Hell Creek & Lance Formations

Tidgy's Dad

Those are beautiful and oh, so rare ! :wub:

sixgill pete

Amazing Frank. I bet your collection is mind blowing.

ynot

Ho boy, more nice pieces to drool over!

Thanks for sharing Your stupendous collection(s).

Bobby Rico

Stunning collection again frank .

my favourite is the bird claw and associated digit beautiful.

thank you

-Andy-

Lovely to see a new collection thread from you. The claws are cool.

WhodamanHD

Some awesome stuff!

LordTrilobite

Great specimens and photos as always.

13 hours ago, Troodon said:

I showed this to a well respected theropod paleontologist and the potential ID's were his thoughts

Claw2.thumb.jpg.57211e73fe041b18b0d10caeaacf25ef.jpg

Do you mean just a small Dromaeosaurid? 'Cause isn't Microraptor exclusively a Chinese genus?

Troodon
6 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Great specimens and photos as always.

Do you mean just a small Dromaeosaurid? 'Cause isn't Microraptor exclusively a Chinese genus?

Should have use Microraptoria which is a small Dromaeosaurid.  No intent to infer the Chinese critter.

Plantguy

Wow, those are some unusual specimens. congrats. Regards, Chris 

bcfossilcollector

Beautiful specimens!:envy:

hxmendoza

Which claw @Troodon? The one with the suboval articulating end that has red dorsally? It’s too wide there to be Troodontid. Troodontid foot claws tend to be laterally compressed ovals (elliptical) to somewhat teardrop shad at the articulating end. And laterally compressed overall. I used to own own just like this that was around two inches in length. It was sold to me as a juvy tyrannosaur claw. But I was always doubtful of this. The articulating end was consistent with that but the distal end just seemed too narrow to me. I eventually passed it on, never being able to pinpoint what it was. Though I did think there were similarities to the foot claws of some Mongolian Oviraptorid foot claws like the ones on Kaan and others.

As as for this claw below that you posted, to me it looks like a dromaeosaur right hallux claw. Its size fits a juvenile animal.

8132B3FB-DA6B-4124-92D2-F7AD75E6F6CA.jpeg

Troodon
1 hour ago, hxmendoza said:

Which claw @Troodon? The one with the suboval articulating end that has red dorsally? It’s too wide there to be Troodontid. Troodontid foot claws tend to be laterally compressed ovals (elliptical) to somewhat teardrop shad at the articulating end. And laterally compressed overall. I used to own own just like this that was around two inches in length. It was sold to me as a juvy tyrannosaur claw. But I was always doubtful of this. The articulating end was consistent with that but the distal end just seemed too narrow to me. I eventually passed it on, never being able to pinpoint what it was. Though I did think there were similarities to the foot claws of some Mongolian Oviraptorid foot claws like the ones on Kaan and others.

As as for this claw below that you posted, to me it looks like a dromaeosaur right hallux claw. Its size fits a juvenile animal.

I had the same concern it was to oval but never held a Troodontid Hallux, thanks confirming, so still a mystery.  Interesting non descript claw, and like you I do not see it as a tyranno.    I need to show it to Pete and see what he says.  

Thanks on the last one, a dromie hallux, wow did not expect that, cool thanks.  Wonder if it's Acheroraptor given the size but no comparative around.

hxmendoza
1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I had the same concern it was to oval but never held a Troodontid Hallux, thanks confirming, so still a mystery.  Interesting non descript claw, and like you I do not see it as a tyranno.    I need to show it to Pete and see what he says.  

Thanks on the last one, a dromie hallux, wow did not expect that, cool thanks.  Wonder if it's Acheroraptor given the size but no comparative around.

Actually @Troodon, the Troodontid claw you got from Mike Triebold pictured below is a Troodontid hallux. I identified it for him. I can’t remember if it was from HC or JRF, but it matched up very well with the illustrated hallux of Stenonychosaurus.

BBB07B72-7400-4399-83C5-6F6D3F35791A.jpeg

F90BA419-2F1B-4C1E-AC48-4DB7EA07C94D.jpeg

7BAA0338-D75D-4D93-8430-DE63F8F8D643.jpeg

Troodon

Super, thanks it was JRF

hxmendoza

Also, @Troodon, could you post good closeup pics, laterals, dorsal, ventral, and direct articulating surface of the claw circled and arrived in red? I’m suspecting it may be a Microraptorine sickle (I’ve work on a three or four), but I would need to see better photos. How bladed is it?

FBC9BB41-3163-41BA-9AE5-ADAFADB92FC1.jpeg

hxmendoza
3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Super, thanks it was JRF

Cool, than most likely cf. Stenonychosaurus.

It’s also comparable to the hallux of Talos sampsoni.

Troodon
2 minutes ago, hxmendoza said:

Also, @Troodon, could you post good closeup pics, laterals, dorsal, ventral, and direct articulating surface of the claw circled and arrived in red? I’m suspecting it may be a Microraptorine sickle (I’ve work on a three or four), but I would need to see better photos. How bladed is it?

Will do, later today, thanks  pretty compressed claw.

hxmendoza
24 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Will do, later today, thanks  pretty compressed claw.

Sorry about the typos. Fat thumbs on phone keys.

Troodon

@hxmendoza  sent you a bunch of pictures on your PM did not want to clutter this up.  Be free to post your findings.  thanks

hxmendoza
20 minutes ago, Troodon said:

@hxmendoza  sent you a bunch of pictures on your PM did not want to clutter this up.  Be free to post your findings.  thanks

Looks like a Microraptorine sickle claw to me. 

Nice!

Troodon

WOWeeee  just the response I wanted, thanks a bunch

hxmendoza

Glad I could help.

Troodon

A very interesting bone from the Hell Creek.  

5a56504cdc62e_TheropodFemur.thumb.jpg.6acd43af1b6cfc49ab278a892ef89b12.jpg