Trilobite - real or fabrication?

Arizona Rex

Greetings,

I received this trilobite (Quadrops Philonyx I was told) from an acquaintance about two years ago.  While grateful, I soon grabbed my magnifier and tried to determine its authenticity.  Not being an expert by any stretch, my first assumption is that this piece is not real, but a fabrication.  I hesitate to use the word "fake" as perhaps its initial purpose was to be used as a model or teaching guide.  Over the holidays I showed this piece to a family member and they suggested that perhaps this was not a fabrication, but perhaps a real trilobite that had been badly prepared by someone who was unskilled at the task.  While I am still heavily on the side of fabrication, again not being an expert, I would sincerely appreciate any and all help concluding real or fabrication.  Thank you.

1..jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

Unfortunately, this is a cast. The furrows and segments are carved into the piece, while a lack of eye detail and the small bubbles on the trilobite indicate the use of resin. It's also missing spine stubs that would be present on a real but poorly prepared example that had spines before the rough prep. The matrix looks to be real stone on the bottom, on which a slab of resin, complete with the trilobite and imitation prep marks, was set.

Here's a helpful resource for trilobite fakes: http://www.fossilmuseum.net/collect/faketrilobites3.htm

• I found this Informative 4

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

Awesome - thank you for the quick replies!  I agree, it looks as though the furrows and segments are literally drawn in place.  Thank you for the tip on the lack of eye detail, and the small bubbles as an indication of the use of and/or presence of resin.  Thanks again :)

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, you can see the air bubbles and carving. 

Also with this type of preservation, they will have a big crack through the specimen where the fossil was broken when they split open the nodule. With the orientation of the fosill confiemed it is then glued back together and the prep work begins.The crack on the fossil side is usually hidden bu the reverse should show it  so if there is no crack through the middle, it is almost certainly a fake.  

• I found this Informative 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wow another great tip!  Thank you so much!  I believed this piece was not real from the start but now I am beginning to know exactly why and that is priceless!  With the annual gem, mineral, and fossil show coming to town in a few weeks, any and all information about how to identify real versus casts and fabrications is extremely valuable. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Arizona Rex said:

Wow another great tip!  Thank you so much!  I believed this piece was not real from the start but now I am beginning to know exactly why and that is priceless!  With the annual gem, mineral, and fossil show coming to town in a few weeks, any and all information about how to identify real versus casts and fabrications is extremely valuable. Thank you!

You might read up on this issue HERE, before going to the show.  ;) 

Lots of good info out there, - just Google "Fake Trilobites Morocco"  

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Like everyone else has already said, the air bubbles are a dead give-a-way that it is a cast.  I used to see intire flats of these kinds of fake fossils.  All in the same flat and all exactly the same.  At least you did'nt pay anything for it.  For me, I learned the hard way and it cost me a few bucks to learn. 

RB

Like everyone else has said. Yes, this is a fake. Lack of detail, lots of "random" prep scratches and bubbles from the casting.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Well if anyone is interested dozens will soon be available :( at the Tucson show, just a couple of weeks away.

post-10935-0-14207700-1454206555.thumb.jpg.3cc25a57353af1ac360e6bbd4072d61e.jpgpost-10935-0-91939500-1454785121.thumb.jpg.e85b9610091693b3614e68232c878928.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Oh, good grief! 

Many of those seem identical,, cast from the same moulds. 

Do people really not notice? 

Though i suppose they are good display pieces if you know they are fake. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png