MarielleK

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this might be. Im pretty sure it is fossilized. I was thinking it was a skull, specifically that of a mammal but I am not sure which. Canine? Thank you for any help!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

It is definitely a partial skull...although I'm not sure that enough remains of it to make much more of a diagnosis than that.  Do you happen to have any idea where it was collected?

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Nice endocast!

This is a fairly common preservation seen from the White River formation in the US (not saying that it is). Like the others have said, we need more information to help. But yes, it's definitely a skull. 

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Yes, this is a skull. a partial braincase with a rather nice endocast of the brain that is visible on the dorsal side seen in the second photo. The brain looks much to large for a dinosaur or any other reptile. So I'm thinking this is mammal. The large rounded hollow in the first picture is part of the orbit or eye socket. The front of the skull would have been on the right side of the first photo.

the specimen seems in fairly bad shape, but perhaps some preparation here and there might uncover some hidden features. And maybe some mammal experts might be able to tell you what kind of critter it is.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Nice endocast!

This is a fairly common preservation seen from the White River formation in the US (not saying that it is). Like the others have said, we need more information to help. But yes, it's definitely a skull. 

I thought the same thing. Especially with that green colored bone.

Googling fossils from the white river formation, could it possibly be a Hyaenodon? This is really just a wild guess because I am no expert. 

2 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Kinda cool. Maybe some more photos. You can never have enough photos for an ID particularly in this preservation  @Harry Pristis

image1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Kinda cool. Maybe some more photos. You can never have enough photos for an ID particularly in this preservation  @Harry Pristis

image2.jpeg

Certainly looks like a White River skull.  My first impression is a large Poebrotherium, camel.  But that is a hunch more than a result of comparisons with actual specimens.  

Upon a quick visual comparison of a camel and a Hyaenodon we have on display here, it looks more Hyaenodon.  But that is just from a comparison of only two genera.  

I have never seen a brain cast fossil. Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for sharing. 

I’m curious, how common/rare are brain casts? I think they must be fairly rare, but the fact that I’ve never seen one doesn’t say much, since most of my experience with fossils is mostly limited to Texas Cretaceous and a little bit of the Lance Formation in Wyoming?

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I have never seen a brain cast fossil. Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for sharing. 

I’m curious, how common/rare are brain casts? I think they must be fairly rare, but the fact that I’ve never seen one doesn’t say much, since most of my experience with fossils is mostly limited to Texas Cretaceous and a little bit of the Lance Formation in Wyoming?

Brain casts are basically skulls that have disintegrated.  NO bone left, just the internal mold of the brain cavity.  As cool as they are, it would have been cooler to find them when they had a skull around them.   They are not common but can be found in the White River Fm.  This one is on its way to becoming a true brain cast.