Is This Dinosaur Fossil Real?

MetalPhoenix

This is genuine you can still see the prep lines from the engraving tool they have used, my advice would be to take it and get it professionally prepped up and it will look a lot nicer also you might want to see if it has been consolidated in an acetone suspended plastic (such as paraloid or butvar) if not get that done too as the last thing you want is for such a beautiful specimen to get damaged and crack over time.

23 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Ptychodus04 may be interested in finishing the prep

He would be very interested :P. The OP sent me a PM earlier and I hope to have a really cool prep progress thread in the near future.

Good, let's see what it becomes after that prep.:D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The little guy arrived at my house last night. First thing, I opend it up and gave it the UV treatment to look for fillers and restorations. All that fluoresced was the copious amounts of glue on the breaks. This can easily be addressed. Then, I moved to a close visual inspection. All of the bone shows normal texture and porosity. This is definitely authentic. Even the skull that looked a little suspect is real, it doesn't have the best preservation and is rather distorted which lent to the suspicion.

I'll start a prep thread on this after I have some time into it this weekend. I have to finish up a couple knives first!

• I found this Informative 6