Mosasaur Gnathomortis (Previously Prognathodon) stadtmani found 1975 Cedaredge, Colorado

Gary L Thompson

My name is Gary L Thompson I am the sole discover of the Mosasaur Prognathadon stadtmani that currently resides at BYU, This specimen was found in Cedaredge, Colorado in 1975. It took over 40 years to get the complete casting of this mosasaur. I thought maybe this might be a story of interest for you since this is an extremely rare fossilized specimen from about 85 million years ago and the fossilized marine reptile is the only one ever found on the western side of the prehistoric sea that once covered an area ranging from Utah to Kansas and Nebraska. It was a ferocious creature approximately 35 feet long. The excavated skull bones remain the property of Brigham Young University’s Paleontology Museum."  

I just wanted update every one on some misleading information regarding the find and to send the most current information updates. It appears that the Genus name is probably going to change to a brand new Genus, the scientific community is still discussing this one, will try to update when that happens. 

BYU has now completed the entire skeleton and now have it up as of the beginning of the year. I have included current photos of it along with "My true story" and all corresponding credits for the find, scientific research and preparation of the specimen. I just thought these might be of interest to you. The photos are from the BYU webpage.

My true story finding a mosasaur.docx

Order of Contact and Credits.docx

Original_article_1975.docx

Prognathadon stadtmani discovered by Gary L Thompson 1.jpg

Prognathadon stadtmani discovered by Gary L Thompson 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Good story, but don't write with so big letters because on Web it means that you shout !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

4 hours ago, Coco said:

Good story, but don't write with so big letters because on Web it means that you shout !

Coco

I've edited the text to appear normal. ;)  

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Interesting story, Mr. Thompson.  

Thanks for posting here. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Mosasaur Prognathadon stadtmani found 1975 Cedaredge, Colorado

What a beautiful monster! Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Quite interesting. And a beautiful animal as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Mosasaur Gnathomortis (Previously Prognathodon) stadtmani found 1975 Cedaredge, Colorado