GW or hubbelli?

Miocene_Mason

I saw this for sale online, not incredibly pricey. It is labeled great white, but the serrations look to go away towards the top, could this be a hubbelli? I’m looking for a hubbelli for a reasonable price, so I’m hoping for a yes but keeping hopes low. It’s Peruvian, so probably piasco formation of memory serves(not sure if I spelled that right) Im not very familiar with them so I’m asking you smart people. I’m going to tag @sagacious because I know he knows these well. Thanks for any responses!

659A2A9C-7FE9-4B1E-B4CA-29EDD592BBA9.png

77424526-C064-4C42-92FE-FB825EDA6698.png

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Can't help, but very nice tooth! 

‘Tis. Forgot to mention, I haven’t bought it yet. I’m waiting for a confirmed ID for that, because I can get a GW for cheaper.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with you and @caldigger.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

To my eyes, it looks like the serrations go all the way to the tip.

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

I agree with you and @caldigger.

Okay, guess my eyes just see what they want.  Thanks for your help! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok, just saw this thread.  I agree with the consensus above.  Based on the photos, the tooth above is probably best identified as C carcharias.

As caldigger noted, the serrations seem to extend fully to the tip of the tooth.  The serrations appear somewhat on the smaller side perhaps, but are fairly well developed for a lower tooth, and most of the serrations seem to be reasonably perpendicular to the edge.  Very possibly this is a tooth from an early great white, but maybe not the best example of transitional Carcharodon characteristics.  

Below is an example of a C hubbelli lower anterior tooth where you can see the individual serrations are more strongly angled toward the tip, and the serrated edge does not extend fully to the tip of the tooth.

IMG_4205.JPG

19 minutes ago, sagacious said:

Ok, just saw this thread.  I agree with the consensus above.  Based on the photos, the tooth above is probably best identified as C carcharias.

As caldigger noted, the serrations seem to extend fully to the tip of the tooth.  The serrations appear somewhat on the smaller side perhaps, but are fairly well developed for a lower tooth, and most of the serrations seem to be reasonably perpendicular to the edge.  Very possibly this is a tooth from an early great white, but maybe not the best example of transitional Carcharodon characteristics.  

Below is an example of a C hubbelli lower anterior tooth where you can see the individual serrations are more strongly angled toward the tip, and the serrated edge does not extend fully to the tip of the tooth.

Thank you very much for the extra information, it is very helpful! Not much information freely available, good to have someone who is experienced with these on the forum!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived