Montague (sp?) New Jersey 2016 trip

kurtl

Quite a bit going on in that plate. Although I'm not seeing trilos., lots of brachiopods and such,  can you point them out?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

TriloBITS mostly on the first rock bottom middle, middle center, and middle left. I'll post smaller ones I have with more detail later

Very nice! Are these from the trilobite ridge? I got to hunt there once, came back with one pygidium but it was pretty large (my first trilobite as well)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes these are from trilobite ridge. Many trilobits but never found a bite there. Only been there once though so who knows.

That looks more like the Becraft Limestone which is also exposed at Trilobite Ridge and is richer in brachiopod remains. The Port Jervis Limestone exposed  on the Ridge is almost solid trilo parts. 

• I found this Informative 2

Here's another hash piece with a trilobit back right center and back left top (lil blurry) and a snail next to a trilobite eye?

Resized_20180116_230003.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

44 minutes ago, kurtl said:

Probably. I wish Gordon C would pop in here he hunts the same area. He would definitely know.

Well then, let’s tag him shall we:)

@GordonC

if I’m looking at the right thing, it’s a Bryozoan indeed, Fenestrellinid or something of the like.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Bryozoan on all three patterns? They each look very different on that rock. Sent Gordon a message last week no reply yet.

4 minutes ago, kurtl said:

Bryozoan on all three patterns? They each look very different on that rock. Sent Gordon a message last week no reply yet.

Seems that way to me, may be different species and some are molds and some are casts. The one on the the top left of the rock made me double take but I still think it’s a bryozoan, the sphericality (don’t know if that’s a word) is probably due to it encrusting a brachiopod. I am, however, no expert of bryozoans. My usual Devonian haunt has not produced them and I’ve only been to two sites with them (also worked with matrix full of them sent to me, I didn’t get into the technicalities though). I haven’t been in contact with Gordon since the summer, not sure how active he is on the forum at this time of year.

Happy hunting,

Mason

40 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Seems that way to me, may be different species and some are molds and some are casts. The one on the the top left of the rock made me double take but I still think it’s a bryozoan, the sphericality (don’t know if that’s a word) is probably due to it encrusting a brachiopod. I am, however, no expert of bryozoans. My usual Devonian haunt has not produced them and I’ve only been to two sites with them (also worked with matrix full of them sent to me, I didn’t get into the technicalities though). I haven’t been in contact with Gordon since the summer, not sure how active he is on the forum at this time of year.

Interesting thanks for that. He's probably in hibernation like the rest of us.

I believe the last matrix piece has fenestella bryozoans. All of the matrix pieces display a wide variety organisms. I'm surprised no one commented on the Pleurodictyum coral on the first piece. That's the very first such specimen I've seen from the Lower Devonian .

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I believe the last matrix piece has fenestella bryozoans. All of the matrix pieces display a wide variety organisms. I'm surprised no one commented on the Pleurodictyum coral on the first piece. That's the very first such specimen I've seen from the Lower Devonian .

Wish I was more versed in this to know exactly what I'm looking at. Better with the living stuff.

29 minutes ago, kurtl said:

Wish I was more versed in this to know exactly what I'm looking at. Better with the living stuff.

I find that hash plates like yours with great biodiversity tend to challenge even the so-called experts. it's extremely difficult to know what everything is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

With the snow cover gone we took a hike yesterday and came upon an outcrop of the Port Jervis Formation (Trilobite Ridge) south of the well known location in Montague.

So awakened from hibernation. (Also see we have not been receiving email notifications.) I looked through  material similar to your hash plates from the Kalkberg and New Scotland Formations. Yours do not have the diagnostic fossils from those formations. Now I'm guessing that they may be from the lowest Glenerie and will check out material from that horizon. I find Spirifer ID difficult (as some species have quite variable morphologies) but perhaps that well defined specimen is Acrospirifer murchisoni, we'll see. Please post a detail of the first plate with the spirifer and the well defined pygidium. If you recall the exact location where those were collected that may be more or less definitive.

Gordon

a few from the Kalkberg

DSCN1118.JPG.c7c06e1336c59e33ab593d9c8740f1b1.JPGDSCN1119.JPG.ee72a2545c569845d0acd7b22684bf20.JPGDSCN1122.JPG.cbcdcf7c9509bb67801cce544e485c32.JPGCheers,

• I found this Informative 1