Trilobite Dealer

32fordboy

I'm sure this has been covered before, but does anybody here know of a reputable trilobite dealer with good prices? I know little about spoting a fake (aside from eye detail, matrix coloration, and resin pinholes) and it would be nice if I didn't even have to worry about it! I really just want to look around and see what's on the market-preferrably something alien looking like a spiny trilo or a harpes. Thanks.

Nick

Nick, I have a few trilobites for sale. I could send you pics if you like. I've posted one under members collections if you wanted to see it. I'm asking $60US for that one. And then I have a huge one (6 3/4"x3")for $300US and one(6"x3") for $240US. I'm waiting for another shipment too.

Guest Smilodon

Nick,

reputable dealer and good prices do not go hand in hand anymore. Online, I suggest that you look at www.extinctions.com but be prepared for the prices. You can always look at Ebay too. Run, I say, run from trilobites, or almost any fossils, from Morocco - except from Extinctions.

I do look at the ones on eBay, but any trilos from there make me nervous. Thanks for your input, guys! I also found a website called trilobites.com. Who wudda thought :rolleyes:

Nick

also try saharaoverland.com and piinc.biz. i know both of these guys personally, actually they are brothers, the dicranurus in the header images is one i traded with them for. they generally have good grade trilos at fair prices. spinies are not cheap. let me knwo if you want one and i may be bale to get a discount for you.

Brock

Those are both excellent sites-very well layed out with great items. Right now I'm looking into the following trilobites. There's a wide price range, I know, but it's a start. It'll probably be a few weeks before I decide where to go from here. So many people have a lot to offer. Thanks once again, guys, you really are a great help for a guy who knows little about trilobites.

Crotalacephalus

Harpes

Leonaspis

Metacanthina

Drotops Armatus (probably the favorite so far)

Hi,

those trilobites that you said have a totally different range of prices

Metacanthina, leonaspis, crotalocephalus are more or less commons and it is possible to get good ones in fairs in Spain for 30-50 euro. Harpes and drotops are more rare and i wouldnt recommend you to buy one without checking first because those are usually faked especially drotops which if it is real can be priced up to 600 euros. i would say that take your time to buy Morocco trilobites and wait for big fairs where you can save a lot of money by mean of bargaining a bit with the dealers.

Guest Smilodon

With those genera, you seem to be headed to Morocco - be very careful. Also remebered, it turns out many of the Russian trilos are of dubious origin. Same with China. You can't go very wrong with the bugs from Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, NY (careful with Arctinurus), Canada.

I tend to look at point of origin as to fakery or enhancement - just my 20 years in the fossil bz.

I don't mind if they're from Morocco, as long as the dealer has a good reputation for real trilos-hence the purpose of this thread. As far as the price range goes, I think I'm going to start low and go high, probably starting with a Harpes, Leonaspis, or Crotalacephalus, saving the Drotops Armatus for down the road. What kind of spinies come from America? I'm after looks rather than rarity or location. The goal is to have maybe 5 or so specimens to show the variety. Man, shopping for trilos is hard. Oh well. According to one website there are over 17,000 named species! That's a lot to look through! :wacko:

Nick

www.geologicalenterprises.com Don't know how good they are. I work in the same town as this company but have never seen any of their specimens in person. They have a catalog on their site though to browse. It is in ardmore oklahoma