Super Tiny Physogaleus contortus?

Miocene_Mason

I have been going through some micro I collected at brownies beach (Calvert FM, Miocene. Zones 4 and 10 mostly) and this tooth looks a little strange to me. Its small, 5 MM about. I'm guessing its a Physogaleus contortus, but I'm not sure. Confirmation, other ideas, and any other information is welcome and encouraged. sorry about poor picture quality, USB microscope is a bit grainy.

S20180119_0005.jpg

S20180119_0006.jpg

S20180119_0007.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

All three pictures are of one side. Can You post the other side and edge views?

First picture is the back (posterior) side of the tooth and the second is the front (anterior). Last is front again. I’ll see if I can get a side picture but that may be impossible.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

OK.

I think it is a mesial or parasymphyseal. If so it could have come from several different species. Without the roots it is beyond Me to say.

Maybe @MarcoSr, @siteseer, @sixgill pete, @Al Dente

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I think it is a mesial or parasymphyseal

I’m not gonna lie, I was kinda hoping you were going to say that:D

People seem to seek these positions, they are (as the terms suggest) in the middle of the mouth, correct?

Happy hunting,

Mason

40 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

they are (as the terms suggest) in the middle of the mouth, correct?

They are the teeth that come from the area where the two jaws meet, so yes the center of the mouth.

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

They are the teeth that come from the area where the two jaws meet, so yes the center of the mouth.

Thank you, my anatomical terms are not yet up to par:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, ynot said:

I never knew that either till now. Thanks.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I have a handy dandy cheat sheet for this kind of thingto hide my inexperience. Parasymphseals are not marked, perhaps because only certain sharks have them. Mesial I knew meant towards middle from previous dealings with sharks teeth.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Parasymphseals are not marked, perhaps because only certain sharks have them. Mesial I knew meant towards middle

I think it is two words for the same thing.

Just now, ynot said:

I think it is two words for the same thing.

Ah, that makes sense. Wonder why they did that, just to confuse me I suppose.:P. I would love to have posted a picture of my diagram but alas, the forum has been glitches by the “update” so it’s not allowing it.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here is a good guide to I.D. tooth positions, including symphyseals. 

https://paleobiology.si.edu/pdfs/sharktoothKey.pdf

As far as your tooth, I do not believe it is Physogaleus contortus. I am thinking some type of Carcharhinidae. But, I think it is to broken to go any farther than that.

• I found this Informative 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

5 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

As far as your tooth, I do not believe it is Physogaleus contortus. I am thinking some type of Carcharhinidae. But, I think it is to broken to go any farther than that.

I was afraid of that. Still thinking parasymphseal? That link is also very helpful, I’ll read through it in depth soon!

Happy hunting,

Mason