Port jervis fossils collected over 20 years ago

kurtl

Can anybody identify the first two? My father always wanted to keep them outside told him not to.........maybe I'll finally change his mind.

Resized_20180121_133623.jpeg

Resized_20180121_141530.jpeg

Resized_20180121_134002.jpeg

Resized_20180121_134214.jpeg

Resized_20180121_134652.jpeg

Resized_20180121_134351.jpeg

Resized_20180121_134750.jpeg

Since you don't say where your father collected these, it will be difficult to ID. The first 2 photos need better focus and the second photo will need shots taken from other angles. 

Have your father look at this geologic map of NY. Perhaps he can tell you generally where he found them.

map-bedrock3.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I was with my father when we collected these at Elks brox park so Devonian age. I'll try to get better pictures but in the mean time the second picture I'm trying to figure out the orange things that look like tiny deer tracks.

27 minutes ago, kurtl said:

orange things that look like tiny deer tracks.

Yes, I see those now, curious.  Sometimes because of the thickness of the hinge, it will be the only thing left of a bivalve or brachiopod. This might account for these. Looking forward to your next photos.

found a similar thing at the trilo ridge, here’s the conclusions that were reached. Possibly Orbiculoidea.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I believe Orbiculoidea is correct, after looking at @WhodamanHD's photos.  The small orange things in second photo really do look like interior of a small brachiopod hinge. If you look below the quarter on the bottom edge, I think you'll see a less deteriorated hinge (whitish).

Yes I did notice the white one. Definitely hinges and I agree on the orbiculoidea. I'm assuming pic 4 is a lamp shell? With more of it under matrix? I gotta dig out my fossils of new york book.......

7 minutes ago, kurtl said:

Yes I did notice the white one. Definitely hinges and I agree on the orbiculoidea. I'm assuming pic 4 is a lamp shell? With more of it under matrix? I gotta dig out my fossils of new york book.......

Not sure about there being more under but it does appear to be another inarticulate brachiopod (brachiopod=lamp shell for those who know not). You also have some spiriferids on pic 3, maybe mucrospirifer. I remember layers made of them in some places. I think they indicate a shallow water environment, as one of the deep water sites I visit dosent have them unless you move to an older area (presumably more shallow?).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason