Hunter0811

Five fossil teeth from the hell creek formation 5mm-15mm lenght. I was thinking crocodile? Does anyone knows what they are and if possible which species? These teeth were found in South Dakota.

IMG_7197.JPG

IMG_7202.JPG

IMG_7200.JPG

Sorry I can't help with id. I am curious if you found these yourself or purchased them?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Just now, Spinosaurus said:

it's the same for me.

zien er goed uit ;)

I should have said tortoise for my thinking processes. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

yeah, crocs.  We you involved with the T rex that is going to the Netherlands?  

Nope, wish i was but i am not a paleontologist, i want to become one though!

I was just curious because I don't think too many Dutch people make it into the Hell creek Fm. and find their own croc teeth.  Nice teeth, by the way.  

Just now, jpc said:

I was just curious because I don't think too many Dutch people make it into the Hell creek Fm. and find their own croc teeth.  Nice teeth, by the way.  

Yeah thats true! I found a lot more in just three days including half a t.rex tooth and a nice nanotyrannus tooth and i am going again next year for three weeks!!! I would recommend paleoprospectors or paleoadventures depending on how long you want to go and with who....

• I found this Informative 1

+1 voor krokodil hier ook! ;)

Mooie tandjes. Had je die op de groepsapp gepost? Ik denk niet dat ik deze eerder heb gezien.

3 minutes ago, Hunter0811 said:

i am going again next year for three weeks!!!

Wat bof jij toch!!! :envy:

Groet,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Pointed teeth could be Stangerochampsa sp.,(pointed anterior teeth, blunt posterior teeth) or Borealosuchus sp.

Brachychampsa (an alligatorid) also lives in Hell Creek, but those had teeth with rounded pommel-like caps. I don't see something simillar to Brachychampsa in the pictures. There might be more species, but these are the only I know of.

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, Hunter0811 said:

@gigantoraptor i forgot to mention these teeth were found in South Dakota.

Then I would say they are Borealosuchus sp. or just crocodilia indet. They don't look like Brachychampsa sp. and as far as I know, Stangerochampsa sp. hasn't been found in South Dakota.

I'm by far an expert on HC croc teeth but will take a stab until someone that is more proficient steps in.

Isolated Croc teeth just like dinosaurs are difficult to identify to a specific species.  There are three Crocodylomorphs reported in the Hell Creek Formation the Crocodile, Borealosuchus sternbergii;  the Alligatoroid, Brachychampsa montana and the Gavialoid, Thoracosaurus neocesariensis.  Very little is know from the last one but with the others there is a better understanding.   A study by Bennett (2012) stated that the two dominant species of Hell Creek crocodyliforms, B. sternbergii and B. montana, possess indistinguishable anterior teeth.  Your large and smallest tooth is most likely from B. sternbergii.

None of your other teeth represent the molar form of B. montana so they are best identified as indeterminate.  

Here is an photo of B. montana do not have a good one of the other

Brachy.JPG.11f02a7ec76ff396ba7e05d45375a4d1.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Thx a lot! I think the other teeth are just Borealosuchus sp. Because i don't see much resemblence with brachychampsa or thoracosaurus.

Definitely crocodile teeth. Nice finds!

As others pointed out, croc teeth are notoriously difficult to identify because they nearly all have the same general tooth plan, unlike mammals where they can easily be identified by their teeth and vice versa. That being said, I would agree with Troodon's assessment.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19