Nimravis

Lawrenceburg, Indiana Trip- 1-26-18

Darktooth

Looks like you had a good day. Also appears to be a great place to hunt. Nice finds!

Plantguy

Yep, nice finds. Nice brachs and unknown...I miss hunting in Indiana...thanks for the pics.

Regards, Chris 

Nimravis
5 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Looks like you had a good day. Also appears to be a great place to hunt. Nice finds!

It is- also the St. Leon roadcut. 

Nimravis
4 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Yep, nice finds. Nice brachs and unknown...I miss hunting in Indiana...thanks for the pics.

Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris, even though the trip is 11 hours / 700 miles round trip in 2 days, it is a lot of fun.

caldigger

Ya gotta love those unknowns.

Wrangellian

The unknown reminds me of Girtyocoelia (sponge), but that's the wrong period. So, no idea... Interesting.

Tidgy's Dad

Nice plates! :)

I particularly like the brachiopods. 

That last unknown, I can't see properly but is it spiral?

If not could it be something like Tentaculites? 

Nimravis
1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice plates! :)

I particularly like the brachiopods. 

That last unknown, I can't see properly but is it spiral?

If not could it be something like Tentaculites? 

It does not appear to be a spiral, it more like the round beads speared at equal intervals. I does not look like other pics of Tentaculites.

Nimravis

@Kane I think you nailed it - that is exactly how “my little string of pearls” look.

Thanks for id on the Isotelus part- I was happy to find such a large fragment.

i figured that was a Flexi.

Thanks again.

ynot

Nice finds.

Thanks for sharing the trip.

Monica

Nice finds yet again, Ralph!!!  I love that lonely siphuncle, as well as the pink-ish brachiopod - thanks for sharing!!!

FossilDAWG

What formations are exposed there?  I stopped by a couple of years ago and found tons of bryozoans and brachiopods in the lower part, below and above the first bench.  I didn't find much in the way of trilobites, just one Flexicalymene thorax+pygidium.  My impression at the time was that the outcrop was perhaps a bit too fresh, and would get better with time and erosion.

Don

Nimravis
17 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice finds yet again, Ralph!!!  I love that lonely siphuncle, as well as the pink-ish brachiopod - thanks for sharing!!!

That was my favorite brachiopod- I love the color.

KimTexan

Very nice finds. Looks like a cool place to hunt.

I went hunting Saturday in the NSR, but still need to clean some of mine up a bit before I post them.

Nimravis
8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

What formations are exposed there?  I stopped by a couple of years ago and found tons of bryozoans and brachiopods in the lower part, below and above the first bench.  I didn't find much in the way of trilobites, just one Flexicalymene thorax+pygidium.  My impression at the time was that the outcrop was perhaps a bit too fresh, and would get better with time and erosion.

Don

Checking the "Fossils and Stratigraphy of the Upper Ordovician Standard in South Eastern Indiana", it shows the Bellevue, Fairmount, Mt. Hope, McMicken and Southgate. I agree, it is fresh, but it seems to get better as the time goes.

hrguy54

I agree. It's still early in the winter. More come out as the snow melts and re-freezes day after day and the rain erodes the hillside.....the typical cycle.

And, for all you know someone was there a few days earlier when the temps were in the 40's.

FossilDAWG

Here is a link to the paper "Fossils and Stratigraphy of the Upper Ordovician Standard in South Eastern Indiana" that Nimravis mentioned.  It seems to be an excellent resource for anyone who collects in the area.

Don

Nimravis
On 1/31/2018 at 11:15 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Here is a link to the paper "Fossils and Stratigraphy of the Upper Ordovician Standard in South Eastern Indiana" that Nimravis mentioned.  It seems to be an excellent resource for anyone who collects in the area.

Don

Thanks Don, I never know to link papers. Much appreciated.

FossilDAWG

Thank you for calling my attention to that paper.  It's really useful!  Also some of the comments in the ID section are pretty funny, such as the one about sea stars (starfish): "It is best not to let anyone know that you found one until months later.  Could lead to violence."

Don

sixgill pete

Very nice Ralph. Those brachs are fantastic.

Nimravis
2 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Very nice Ralph. Those brachs are fantastic.

Thanks Don.

Tidgy's Dad
On 1/31/2018 at 5:15 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Great paper. 

Thanks. :)