Kayak Expeditionary Force Enters Ammonite Country

Uncle Siphuncle

16 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice that You could collect so many pieces for a mailbox.

Next will be a matching wall.

I only plan on 3 or 4 as accents...but it’s good to have choices.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

4 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I only plan on 3 or 4 as accents...but it’s good to have choices.

You should use then as a replacement of any brick or other rock. Would look soooo cool!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I have missed your monthly field reports Dan. Thanks for sharing these trips with us!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

I have missed your monthly field reports Dan. Thanks for sharing these trips with us!

Hi Dave.  Life is chaotic, but I’ll collect and post when I can.

Grüße,

7 hours ago, ynot said:

You should use then as a replacement of any brick or other rock. Would look soooo cool!

Also good to have a few on hand for new landowners.  I hate to show up empty handed.

Grüße,

Most splendid report, thank you very much! :)

I am looking forward to seeing you mailbox, too! 

Will people not pinch the ammonites? ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

38 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Most splendid report, thank you very much! :)

I am looking forward to seeing you mailbox, too! 

Will people not pinch the ammonites? ;)

I plan to have them backed with mastic or similar, so I’m hopeful that all aspirations of sneakthievery are averted.  I’ve never had a yard ammonite poached, even before all the security cameras went up.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

1 minute ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I plan to have them backed with mastic or similar, so I’m hopeful that all aspirations of sneakthievery are averted.  I’ve never had a yard ammonite poached, even before all the security cameras went up.

Nice to hear.

They'd last about 30 seconds in my street and this is a good area! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice to hear.

They'd last about 30 seconds in my street and this is a good area! 

This is Texas, with 2 guns for every window.  Helps folks remember their manners!

Grüße,

Oh my goodness!  My 13 year old daughter and I are drooling and green with envy. The bate of possible ammonites is the only thing that I can use to get her to set foot on a fossil hunt with me. Ammonites are the only fossils she likes.

I have considered taking up kayaking in the hopes that some less accessible places may have a better selection of fossils. 

Sounds like a great day and some beautiful finds. Thanks for sharing your trip and pics with us. It is inspiring.

These places still exist and some are sustainable...till word gets out.  I try to stay ahead of diminishing returns by allowing proven sites to weather while I scout for new ones.  It can seem counterintuitive to lay off known good sites while taking chances on wildcat sites, but in the end, I accept calculated risks that could expand my options.

Grüße,

I totally get that. I’ve been doing the google satellite image thing for a while. Some places are complete washes, but some turn out well. I’m still learning the formations, what they look like and what areas produce what. I’ve got a lot to learn, but it’s fun exploring and finding new types of fossils and places. The exploration and adventure of it all is the most fun part. The fossils are just the bonus. Sometimes I wish I could find a way to do it for a living, but some of the travel and elements might get old quick.

as others have said great trip. glad you shared your catch of the day. I appreciated the pics you took of the exposures where you found your Ammonites. Looks like you mostly needed the kayaks to transport your finds. The creek doesn't look too deep or fast flowing, at least not on your trip. Thanks for the trip pics.

On 1/28/2018 at 11:26 PM, ynot said:

Nice that You could collect so many pieces for a mailbox.

Next will be a matching wall.

I experienced a bit of serendipity while scrubbing one of the ammos last night.  While cleaning the center of the no-show side, matrix flaked away to reveal about a dozen adhered little echinoids.  They are spatangoids, but not sure of genus yet.  I don’t reckon this one will be mortared into the mailbox post.  Good thing I grabbed extras!

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

3 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I experienced a bit of serendipity while scrubbing one of the ammos last night.  While cleaning the center of the no-show side, matrix flaked away to reveal about a dozen adhered little echinoids.  They are spatangoids, but not sure of genus yet.  I don’t reckon this one will be mortared into the mailbox post.  Good thing I grabbed extras!

OOO...Bonus!

5 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

What no picture to show us such a cool ammonite? Also I need education. I have yet to find a spatangoids and I have never found one, much less a dozen adhering to an ammonite. That sounds like a sight to behold.

I need to clean things up a bit more before attempting ID on these echs.

8B629CE6-6EB3-4EF3-9B6D-84E979DE4840.jpeg

Grüße,