Giant thresher ?

Miocene_Mason

I saw this for sale (super cheap) and it’s labeled “Megalodon”, it looks to me to actually be a Giant Thresher (Alopias/Trigonotodus grandis). It’s about an inch and says was found on the SC coast. What’s your take? Thinking about buying it.

99DDBD92-1085-4590-81B1-EECB778649F5.jpeg

54D281DA-0984-4C2D-AB40-6753AD907731.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree it looks like giant thresher. We know it definitely isn't a meg. But with the root broken off I hope they aren't expecting top dollar. Personally I wouldn't even buy it unless it was whole. But that's just me.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Just now, Darktooth said:

I agree it looks like giant thresher. We know it definitely isn't a meg. But with the root broken off I hope they aren't expecting top dollar.personal ly I wouldn't even buy it unless it was whole. But that just me.

These are rather rare right? A little lack of root is okay for me, blade seems nice. Also interesting color, the price is like seven bucks which is low for a giant thresher online.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I saw this for sale (super cheap) and it’s labeled “Megalodon”, it looks to me to actually be a Giant Thresher (Alopias/Trigonotodus grandis). It’s about an inch and says was found on the SC coast. What’s your take? Thinking about buying it.

I Have found 2!! Giant Threshers in 10 years of hunting the Peace River. If I had none of these, I would think nothing of paying $25-30 for the one you have pictured.

The most I have ever spent on a Meg is $75 and not many of those purchases since I find a lot of them.

$7 !!!!! Buy it now!!!!

Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

They are rather rare and if you are fine with it, really that's all that matters. I myself, have spent a lot of money over the years on sub-par specimens, which in the long run I ended up regretting. My opinion is that my money is better spent on quality. Even if that means waiting to save up for that special item.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Just now, Shellseeker said:

I Have found 2!! Giant Threshers in 10 years of hunting the Peace River. If I had none of these, I would think nothing of paying $25-30 for the one you have pictured.

The most I have ever spent on a Meg is $75 and not many of those purchases since I find a lot of them.

Jack

To be honest I have one already (and a double cusped one) but this is a different color. I have a liking for threshers for some reason, still waiting to find an affordable serrated giant thresher.

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

They are rather rare and if you are fine with it, really that's all that matters. I myself, have spent a lot of money over the years on sub-par specimens, which in the long run I ended up regretting. My opinion is that my money is better spent on quality. Even if that means waiting to save up for that special item.

I have a soft spot for threshers so I think I’ll get it. I too like quality, but when something normally expensive is cheap, I can’t resist getting it and maybe later adding it to onto a trade if I replace it with a better representative. 

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

99DDBD92-1085-4590-81B1-EECB778649F5.jpeg

54D281DA-0984-4C2D-AB40-6753AD907731.jpeg

A good reason not to trust a dealer's IDs! 

+1 vote for thresher

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 hours ago, Gizmo said:

For $7 I'd buy it as a comparison specimen.

Just did! Do you know how rare they are in the cliffs? Seems scarcer than in the Carolinas. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

A good reason not to trust dealers IDs! 

+1 vote for thresher

Yeah, a few weeks ago I got a steal on a a very nice Cretaceous fish from Brazil labeled “Green river Wyoming fossil fish”. Feeling kind of bad for the guy, I told him the ID, and he offered me a lower price! 

:megdance:

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice tooth! :)

I'd be very, very happy with it at that price. 

Which is the main thing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png