A trilobite? Two trilobites?

Eastonian

Hi, all. I found this specimen last summer near a clay quarry in Rogers City, Michigan. I think there might be two trilobite fossils here. The one on the lower left looks like it could be from the order Ptychopariida, and there may also be the segmented thorax of another trilobite. What are your thoughts

Trilobites.jpg

Yes, two Devonian trilobites, I think they're both pygidium pieces the top one has the end missing.  

The Ptychopariida were extinct long before the Devonian, so these must be something else, probably Proetids or Phacopids, I should think. 

Nice brachiopods too , Atrypids at a guess. . 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

There are definitely two pygidia there.  They do not look like ptychoparids to me, those trilobites are characterized by small pygidia (amongst other features.  The ubiquitous (in rock shops) trilobite Elrathia kingi is a very typical ptychoparid.

Also, ptychoparids are typically Cambrian.  Your plate has three atypid brachiopods (the frilly ones) and some fenestellid type bryozoans (lacy bryozoans).  This assemblage could only be Silurian or Devonian, and considering the locality I'm pretty sure it is the latter.

Don

12 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Dang, beaten to the punch by Tidgy's Dad.  I need to type faster!

Don

I missed the fenestellid bryozoan. 

I must get new glasses. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I have to say that I find it amazing and immensely enjoyable that I can be here in the USA and you are in Morocco and we can have a conversation almost in real time.  That's one of the many things I love about the fossil forum, how people who would likely never (or rarely) meet in person can be part of the same community and interact almost as if we were in the same room. :)

Don

• I found this Informative 6

21 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I missed the fenestellid bryozoan. 

I must get new glasses. :)

I see it at first, but I wasn't convinced that it encrusts a spiny atrypid brachiopod or not. Now I know. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I have to say that I find it amazing and immensely enjoyable that I can be here in the USA and you are in Morocco and we can have a conversation almost in real time.  That's one of the many things I love about the fossil forum, how people who would likely never (or rarely) meet in person can be part of the same community and interact almost as if we were in the same room. :)

Don

Hear! Hear! 

And Here! Here! 

It's so incredible that we can link up across continents and share our love of these things and exchange knowledge. 

Make friends we'll probably never meet. 

And i received another lovely little box of precious things today from a lovely chap that I've only known for a couple of months through this forum. 

Knowledge, kindness, generosity, humour and friendship. 

TFF rocks! 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I encountered the same good feeling related to what you said, Adam. Are we too old to Rock 'N' Roll or just measuring the time at a different scale? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I encountered the same good feeling related to what you said, Adam. Are we too old to Rock 'N' Roll or just measuring the time at a different scale? :)

I think we all measure time in the geological way. 

So that makes us all very, very young indeed. 

So let's rock! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.