karenilm

I’m so excited to share what I found today!  I wish I had a pic of my face when I flipped this over!!  

would this be a meg?

Wrightsville Beach— North carolina  884B3D3B-A243-4FFF-9ED6-829CB7A1494B.jpeg.2dcc7127587a24a218b5b2555654f13a.jpeg

21465272-D494-43C0-A36B-BF0D0F776C1D.jpeg.c4561cf838f5b0bd1325eff607eeacec.jpeg

0C477B78-8BEA-4E1B-B5C2-93BA6143B144.jpeg.d58ef32489ed5694ce3fc12547371337.jpeg

7AD6625E-F7A5-477D-87AE-CBB732848C00.jpeg.f4ee2ba3d5fd3c41c9628b2b22ad4db0.jpeg

EDFFC9C9-02E7-42B8-B517-BD56F39CF841.jpeg.7b02375809c2df2074c30db0b4577da3.jpeg

It's obviously a Carcharocles, but I think that if it is a meg or a chub might need some more prepping.

Otherwise, nice find!

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Nice find, takes a good eye to spot something like that:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks like one (or a close relative) to Me.

Congratulations on the find.

What size is it?

Ynot- thank you!  I hope this pic helps with the size.  

312AB960-BAAD-4E27-BEAE-6B50E0414553.jpeg

8 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

It's obviously a Carcharocles, but I think that if it is a meg or a chub might need some more prepping.

Otherwise, nice find!

Thank you!  

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think it's a Meg. 

What a great find! 

Well done you! :)

Thanks!  I was so excited!!!   :meg::yay-smiley-1:

looks like an auriculatis with the side cusps broken off. Am liking the modern barnacle attachment and matrix. Keep in mind that some of the material at the beach is derived from the rip rap at the inlet which comes from Castle Hayne or Rocky Point quarries where Cretaceous and Eocene are exposed.

Also; can you grasp the matrix gently (away from the tooth) with a pair of pliers to see if the matrix is macadam? There's a barely possible chance that the tooth was part of aggregate used in pavement. Am thinking that this suggestion sounds crazy to ya'll! Lots of teeth in our pavement around here. More likely just phosphatized rock of a lag deposit or hardground.

42 minutes ago, Plax said:

Also; can you grasp the matrix gently (away from the tooth) with a pair of pliers to see if the matrix is macadam? There's a barely possible chance that the tooth was part of aggregate used in pavement. Am thinking that this suggestion sounds crazy to ya'll! Lots of teeth in our pavement around here. More likely just phosphatized rock of a lag deposit or hardground.

Plax - Yes, There are tons of teeth in our pavement!!!  We can walk around our neighborhood and find sharks teeth!!  LOL!  

The tooth is completely stuck.. I am afraid that it will hurt the tooth if I try to pull it off with pliers.  Here are  close up images of material around the tooth.  

S20180201_003.jpeg

S20180201_002.jpeg

tooth.jpeg

Looking at it under the microscope I wouldn't be surprised if there might be other (partial) teeth in there.  

45 minutes ago, karenilm said:

Plax - Yes, There are tons of teeth in our pavement!!!  We can walk around our neighborhood and find sharks teeth!!  LOL!  

The tooth is completely stuck.. I am afraid that it will hurt the tooth if I try to pull it off with pliers.  Here are  close up images of material around the tooth.  

Am I the only one who can visualize Karen, with her knee pads, safety glasses and gloves (safety 1st), running around her neighborhood using a 3lb maul and cold chisel to extract all the teeth she sees in the pavement?  :hearty-laugh: :rofl:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

21 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Am I the only one who can visualize Karen, with her knee pads, safety glasses and gloves (safety 1st), running around her neighborhood using a 3lb maul and cold chisel to extract all the teeth she sees in the pavement?  :hearty-laugh: :rofl:

It certainly conjures up some interesting images. 

And the sound of police sirens. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I didn't want it grasped near the tooth! The idea being to pinch it a tad to see if it is slightly flexible or smears like macadam. Have posted pavement teeth on this forum previously. Kerosene or heat would probably dissolve teeth out of macadam but that's not to be recommended! Legal and safety issues with whatever is tried. Lots of asphalt enclosed teeth on my lunch walk here in Burgaw.

We do agree it's auriculatis, no? Guess it could be angustidens if it's from the Oligocene just offshore and the dredge threw it up there. have been wrong before and will continue to be that way no doubt. Like everyone else I'm influenced by what I've experienced.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:57 PM, karenilm said:

I’m so excited to share what I found today!  I wish I had a pic of my face when I flipped this over!!  

would this be a meg?

Wrightsville Beach— North carolina  884B3D3B-A243-4FFF-9ED6-829CB7A1494B.jpeg.2dcc7127587a24a218b5b2555654f13a.jpeg

21465272-D494-43C0-A36B-BF0D0F776C1D.jpeg.c4561cf838f5b0bd1325eff607eeacec.jpeg

0C477B78-8BEA-4E1B-B5C2-93BA6143B144.jpeg.d58ef32489ed5694ce3fc12547371337.jpeg

7AD6625E-F7A5-477D-87AE-CBB732848C00.jpeg.f4ee2ba3d5fd3c41c9628b2b22ad4db0.jpeg

EDFFC9C9-02E7-42B8-B517-BD56F39CF841.jpeg.7b02375809c2df2074c30db0b4577da3.jpeg

Definitely looks like a Meg. What a shame the tip's crunched. :megalodon_broken01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Whoa very nice find!!! Congrats! :fistbump:

On 2/1/2018 at 5:35 AM, Macrophyseter said:

Otherwise, nice find!

You mean Otodus, "Carcharocles" is one of the old name for the meg lineage ;)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

You mean Otodus, "Carcharocles" is one of the old name for the meg lineage ;)

Sorry if I cause any problems saying this, but however, I don't agree that Otodus has fully replaced Carcharocles to warrant a correction on me, as as far as I know, the scientific community has not yet formally declared the genus a synonym (Many post 2017 papers still use Carcharocles, and the 2016 paper reintroducing it simply stated that a change may be likely but made no declarations). Even though it is likely that the genus Otodus may take over eventually, I'll still hold onto Carcharocles due to my biased dislike of the genus name Otodus untill the genus is formally struck down. I know biases are not a good thing, but everyone has preferences.

Please remember that this is completely an opinion and should not be taken like fact. I am not saying that Otodus is invalid, but I am saying that I believe that neither genus is superior enough to correct the other when using either genus. ;)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

18 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Sorry if I cause any problems saying this, but however, I don't agree that Otodus has fully replaced Carcharocles to warrant a correction on me, as as far as I know, the scientific community has not yet formally declared the genus a synonym (Many post 2017 papers still use Carcharocles, and the 2016 paper reintroducing it simply stated that a change may be likely but made no declarations). Even though it is likely that the genus Otodus may take over eventually, I'll still hold onto Carcharocles due to my biased dislike of the genus name Otodus untill the genus is formally struck down. I know biases are not a good thing, but everyone has preferences.

Please remember that this is completely an opinion and should not be taken like fact. I am not saying that Otodus is invalid, but I am saying that I believe that neither genus is superior enough to correct the other when using either genus. ;)

Okay, no problem! I personally kinda like Otodus, so I don't mind the name change. But I know that often, habits die hard. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils