Guess the fish!

Bone guy

So I was picking at the back of my new diplomystus and I found a partial skeleton! It's majorly cut-off, I know, and it's nothing special. I just figured you guys might have fun figuring out what it is!

IMG_0705.JPG

It's amazing what one can find while fiddling. :)

Is it from The Green River Formation and how long is the specimen? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

There are very clever people who know their stuff on the forum but I'm not sure they could be certain from what is left of this. 

But I do know that the most common smaller fish found in the same beds as  Diplomystus is Knightia sp., I even used to have one, very common fish on the fossil market.

So that may be a likely candidate, though I am certainly not saying it is one and will probably be shot down in flames at any moment. 

But you did ask for guesses, so this is one. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It’s in too poor of a state for me to ascertain. Based on size, probably a knightia. Could be a Gosiutichthys as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Diplomystus.  Just a guess, but from the look at those bones on the bottom right hand side, the part that dips downward, tells me its a diplomystus.

RB

• I found this Informative 2

Cool! Yeah my guess was diplomystus. Still pretty cool though, gonna treasure these fish for a long time. 

Would there be a chance of exposing some fins on the ventral side ? Seems like I remember them as being diagnostic in some cases.

Found it. If you can find a complete enough anal fin that should differentiate Knightia from Diplo. at least.