Kimmeridge clay vertebrae

Carbon

Hi,

Yesterday, I just find with the high tides this vertebrae. It's come from the upper kimmeridge clay of Normandy in France.

I know very well the marines reptiles of this age (sauropterygia, ichtyosaurs,etc...) but this vert look very different. Especially with the big furrow at his bottom.

I think it's look like a Dino vert but i'm really not sure and I don't know bones of dinos.

Could you give me your opinion about it? 

Many Thanks

Carbon.

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Don’t know anything about the deposits, but my gut says iguanodontid caudal vert, no idea why. @Troodon

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you all for your ID. In fact, Iguanodon was the most similar vertebra I had found. So your identifications confirms what I thought.

Troodon, there's very few bones of dinosaurs found in the kimmeridge clay of Normandy. Generally one bone only for each dinosaur.

More over lot of them was destroyed during the bombing of Le Havre museum in the WW2.

Here is a short list of the dinosaurs that I remember : Megalosaurus, Dacentrurus, Dryosaurus, Sauropod...

But for me, never Iguanodontid has never been mentioned.

32 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Thank you all for your ID. In fact, Iguanodon was the most similar vertebra I had found. So your identifications confirms what I thought.

Troodon, there's very few bones of dinosaurs found in the kimmeridge clay of Normandy. Generally one bone only for each dinosaur.

More over lot of them was destroyed during the bombing of Le Havre museum in the WW2.

Here is a short list of the dinosaurs that I remember : Megalosaurus, Dacentrurus, Dryosaurus, Sauropod...

But for me, never Iguanodontid has never been mentioned.

That's probably because Iguanodon was an early Cretaceous dinosaur not Jurassic and not recorded in the Kimmeridge of Normandy.   Since you are in a mixed fauna its difficult to say.  It looks dinosauran and more like a cervical vertebra because of the attachment points of the processes in your first two photos.  Unless I'm not seeing them correctly.

• I found this Informative 2

Believe that is an 1880 paper, are you sure that is still valid and not Cumnoria prestwichii or Camptosaurus prestwichii.  I'm not that familiar with all whats going on in that Jurassic assembladge

Hi

As Troodon says its now  Camptosaurus prestwichii , see https://cdn.palass.org/publications/palaeontology/volume_23/pdf/vol23_part2_pp411-443.pdf

Only trouble is, I think your vertebra is twice the size of those figured in the paper but an entry in Wikipedia says it could be over 26 feet long so perhaps the type specimen is  small. 

regards

Paul

• I found this Informative 2

Here news photos of this vert. 

Sorry Troodon, I haven't looking the date of this paper. In fact, it's very old !

Papers about Camptosaurs looks very interesting. Thank you for them.

But there's no furrow at the bottom of figured vertebras...

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

Yes because of size.  I still believe it's a cervical or 1st Dorsal.

This is 4 & 5 Allo Dorsal  and the ventral surface is straight or curved.

20180206_153853.jpg.8e8e7007773132f1c01568a9d042efb8.jpg

The cervicals or first D there is a step like you see in his centrum

20180206_153656_20180206154254264.thumb.jpg.1a2bc755fc85610406cf9bafa98cfafb.jpg

IMG_4076.thumb.JPG.b35f8a22ff6b80193587398b16eae756.thumb.JPG.57e4894ed9fcdfd5c06f1f7f24a142ba.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you paulgdls  and Troodon for this figures. With the step and the acoelous/amphicoelous surfaces it's really a mix between the E of each figure.

Like on the E vertebra of the first figure there's little furrows at the marge of the centrum.

So for you it's really dinosaur and probably more a theropod?

As you know, very little is known about dinosaurs from this age, but it could be a cervical of Juratyrant langhami or similar. 

Thanks for posting. I'll ask Steve Etches what he thinks.

Paul

I know there's very few informations about dinosaurs from this age, more over it's isolated and eroded vertebrae...

I like sharing this kind of fossil. For me undetermined fossils are much more interesting !

Thank you for asking Steeve Etches. I really have to visit his museum one day ! I'm collecting fossils for kimmerdige clay from many years now and M. Etches is a legend for me.