Possible Megalodon Tooth ?

BRONSON

Hi again guys, I have another of my fossils to show you, I am putting them all in this topic as I am a complete amateur at this and dont want to make a wally of myself mis-identifying something.

I bought this from my same friend a decade or two ago, its not the best example but it didnt cost me much at the time and I thought it was impressive, the stand another friend made for me and I want to get a name plate put on this one also.

I bought it thinking it might be a Megalodon shark tooth, no idea which corner of the world it came from, I actually thought the grey might of been painted on at first until I took close up photos of it.

So experts out there, I have a few questions for you, 

Is it a Megalodon tooth or another species of shark, 

And what it the current and correct latin name for this shark as I read somewhere a while ago that there was some debate about its ancestory and there was two latin names kicking around

Which of these latin names should I use or would you use,

And finally anything else of interest you could tell me about my tooth from looking at my pics,

Cheers in advance

Bronson

DSCN0422.thumb.JPG.9e00d20586de68dcf69cdf8305158ba1.JPG

DSCN0433.thumb.JPG.63845ce0bda7cad0b6a4fa123ce3eb3a.JPG

It is a megalodon. Until recently the classification was Carcharocles megalodon, now it is Otodus megalodon.

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Al Dente said:

It is a megalodon. Until recently the classification was Carcharocles megalodon, now it is Otodus megalodon.

Wow that was quick, thankyou, so it was previously thought as an ancestor of the Great White, now it is of the Otodus family ( I think I have a tooth from one of those), did the Otodus family die out with the Megalodon then, or does it have any modern decendants ?

3 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Interesting! Just out of curiosity - do you have any papers on this?

Latin names are italicized by the way Otodus megalodon

which has no known extent descendants (makos such as the great white being cousins, and I would guess porbeagles and salmon sharks).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Latin names are italicized by the way Otodus megalodon

which has no known extent descendants (makos such as the great white being cousins, and I would guess porbeagles and salmon sharks).

@WhodamanHD When you  say "makos such as the great white being cousins," are you referring to the Carcharocles hastalis? If so, C. hastalis was moved into the white shark lineage about 18 months ago and is no longer associated with "makos." 

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

It's a nice meg for display and I very much like the stand.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

7 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@WhodamanHD When you  say "makos such as the great white being cousins," are you referring to the Carcharocles hastalis? If so, C. hastalis was moved into the white shark lineage about 18 months ago and is no longer associated with "makos." 

Typo there either the “being”, but Carcharodon hastilis And Carcharodon carcharias are closely related to makos and I tend to call them such instead of great whites (when referring to them as a group) because if you call C. hastilis a great white it gets confusing (this is just my preference, I totally accept and support hastilis’s placement in Carcharodon)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

if you call C. hastilis a great white it gets confusing

Because C. hastalis is a white shark not a Carcharodon carcharias - Great white shark

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

58 minutes ago, ynot said:

Because C. hastalis is a white shark not a Carcharodon carcharias - Great white shark

In some places, great whites are simply called white sharks. If it would make people happy I’ll call them white sharks. :D 

But I also think that Megalodon is related to Isurus as well, I’m not sure which would be closer, probably the more basal Isurus.

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

In some places, great whites are simply called white sharks. If it would make people happy I’ll call them white sharks. :D 

But I also think that Megalodon is related to Isurus as well, I’m not sure which would be closer, probably the more basal Isurus.

"White" is a family name "great" is a common species name. Hastalis is a "broad tooth" white shark,  carcharias  is a "great" white shark. It is not improper to refer to either as a WHITE shark. It is wrong to call either a "mako" by current standards.

I have heard of nothing (other than Your opinion) that relates mako sharks or white sharks with megalodon sharks.

Do You have any references to support Your thesis?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

"White" is a family name "great" is a common species name. Hastalis is a "broad tooth" white shark,  carcharias  is a "great" white shark. It is not improper to refer to either as a WHITE shark. It is wrong to call either a "mako" by current standards.

I have heard of nothing (other than Your opinion) that relates mako sharks or white sharks with megalodon sharks.

Do You have any references to support Your thesis?

I thought I read somewhere they both had a common ancestor, possibly isurolamna inflata. Although sometimes my mind does play tricks on itself sometimes.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok then, what would you guys put on an engraved name plate to be attached to Megs stand ? I cannot find the original reference to it being Otodus Megalodon, have scoured the internet to no availe, everywhere seems to still be using the Carcharocles Megalodon name still.

10 minutes ago, BRONSON said:

Ok then, what would you guys put on an engraved name plate to be attached to Megs stand ? I cannot find the original reference to it being Otodus Megalodon, have scoured the internet to no availe, everywhere seems to still be using the Carcharocles Megalodon name still.

I’d put Otodus Megalodon but these things are transient and change with new evidence. @doushantuo do you have the reference? I remember the name Cappetta. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here’s one paper (or part of it). Basically says in order for Otodus to be a Clade, Megalodon must be part of it (I think).

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Here’s one paper (or part of it). Basically says in order for Otodus to be a Clade, Megalodon must be part of it (I think).

Thankyou for that, I just dont want to have a name plate engraved only for them to change the name yet again a few months down the line :megalodon_broken01:

23 hours ago, snolly50 said:

It's a nice meg for display and I very much like the stand.

Yeah a friend made it at christmas out of oak, it wasnt too expensive, he made a huge plinth for another friends icthyosaur backbone, here's his website, https://www.njcrafts.co.uk/

I am going to get him to make a new stand to display my Mosasaur tooth with a nice model of a Mosasaur I bought this week, will put it on here when its done.