Fragments

Malone

Lots of rocks with different geologic structures here, ... no fossils. :unsure: 

I see liesegang rings/banding, and possibly septarian structures. 

Geology can do some weird things.  ;) 

You might consider visiting some local museums, and familiarizing yourself as to what real fossils look like. 

We encourage beginners to join a local fossil club, and go to the meetings. That way, you can meet people with similar interests, and go on club field trips to collect fossils and learn about your area.  

Read up on the geology of the area around you, to find out what types of fossils have been found nearby. 

Check Geologic maps of Colorado to see what the ages of the Formations around you are. 

Read any books or scientific papers you can, about the different rock formations that crop out in your area. 

Check this website, and try to correlate the info to your area. 

The information is exceedingly old, and may no longer be totally accurate. 

I hope this will help you to be successful on future hunts. :) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Lots of rocks with different geologic structures here, ... no fossils. :unsure: 

I see liesegang rings/banding, and possibly septarian structures. 

Geology can do some weird things.  ;) 

You might consider visiting some local museums, and familiarizing yourself as to what real fossils look like. 

We encourage beginners to join a local fossil club, and go to the meetings. That way, you can meet people with similar interests, and go on club field trips to collect fossils and learn about your area.  

Read up on the geology of the area around you, to find out what types of fossils have been found nearby. 

Check Geologic maps of Colorado to see what the ages of the Formations around you are. 

Read any books or scientific papers you can, about the different rock formations that crop out in your area. 

Check this website, and try to correlate the info to your area. 

The information is exceedingly old, and may no longer be totally accurate. 

I hope this will help you to be successful on future hunts. :) 

Regards,

Thank you very much!

9 hours ago, Malone said:

Thank you very much!

I learned about the liesengang because of your post. I did read some stuff from the Colorado geological survey. They said there were concretions growing around shell fragments. I thought these might be those fragments. I broke one of neighborhood concretions open and found what looks like a liesengang formation under construction.

IMG_2151.JPG

3 minutes ago, Malone said:

I broke one of neighborhood concretions open and found what looks like a liesengang formation under construction.

The cross section looks like a mineralized vein.

There is a lot of oxidized iron, but there are several other minerals evident.

This is not the right type of rock for a fossil.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

The cross section looks like a mineralized vein.

There is a lot of oxidized iron, but there are several other minerals evident.

This is not the right type of rock for a fossil.

The Colorado geological survey said these concretions form around fossils. They are very thin. To expose the fossils they need to be cut or opened at the right layer. I am not sure what the best way to do that though.

13 minutes ago, Malone said:

The Colorado geological survey said these concretions form around fossils. They are very thin. To expose the fossils they need to be cut or opened at the right layer. I am not sure what the best way to do that though.

I find these very interesting. It's like the fossils actually draw minerals to themselves. An amazing part of the cyclical nature of life.