HoppeHunting

Hello, everyone.

One thing is for sure. Paleocene shark teeth from Purse State Park are difficult to identify. Many of them appear nearly identical to another species, and if the teeth are worn, identification is next to impossible. While I was sorting (or at least attempting to sort) my 600+ teeth from my trip to Purse, I was finding that the vast majority of my teeth were either Striatolamia or Carcharias. While this is normal for the area because these species are among the most abundant, it seemed that I didn't have a single specimen of what is apparently another common find: Goblin Shark teeth. According to fossilguy.com, as well as phatfossils.com, Anomotodon novus was a species of Goblin Shark that was alive during the Paleocene Era, and its teeth are commonly found along the Potomac River's Paleocene fossil sites. Why is it that I just could not seem to identify one? Apparently, they look very similar to the species of Sand Tiger, but their defining feature is that the cutting edge extends onto the root, in a sort of "enamel shoulder." Some of my finds had flattened or rounded cusps, but no obvious continuation of the cutting edge. I was frustrated because with a find that is said to be common, you'd expect to find at least 1 in 600. 

After sorting through the finds from Purse, I moved in chronological order to my Brownie's Beach trip with my dad on the day after Christmas. My dad didn't have the most productive day at the site, and only found 20 or 30 teeth, but they were some cool finds. There was one in particular that caught my attention. It looked a bit like a Sand Tiger, but its cutting edge extended onto the root. I was stunned. I have never seen any mention of Goblin Shark teeth in the Calvert Cliffs, or any Miocene exposure for that matter. I'm assuming that A. novus went extinct between the Paleocene and Miocene but I could be wrong. Obviously there were other species of Goblins alive, but the reason I think it's A. novus is that when I've looked at pictures of teeth from all different kinds of extinct Goblins, this tooth is nearly identical to that specific species. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there actually are Goblins in the Calvert Cliffs because they yield over 200 different species, but I am just confused because I've never seen them on any identification website or trip report from the Cliffs.

I've posted three pictures of the tooth below. The first with a tape measure reference shows the lingual side of the tooth, the second is the labial, and the third is a close up shot (that I took with my super cool clip-on macro lens) of one of the enamel shoulders. 

Here's what I'd like to know. Is this tooth from a species of Goblin Shark? If so, is it A. novus or a different species that was alive during the Miocene? Also, (less important, but still would be helpful) how can I distinguish Goblin Shark teeth from the Sand Tiger species at Purse State Park? Are they less common than I believed? 

As always, help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

maybe Mako ?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I am thinking, like Herb stated, mako. Specifically Isurus dorsi. (Did I spell that right?)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Just now, Darktooth said:

I am thinking, like Herb stated, mako. Specifically Isurus dorsi. (Did I spell that right?)

Close, desori.:D

i don’t know if that’s what it is, my only desori is rootless so I’m interested to see if this opinion is corroborated.:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I’m starting to wonder if it’s cross contamination. Does really look like a purse find. I recently found a Miocene lemon at purse (Douglas point but basically the same thing). With fossil hunters frequenting both, a few are bound to have leaky pockets.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Close, desori.:D

i don’t know if that’s what it is, my only desori is rootless so I’m interested to see if this opinion is corroborated.:popcorn:

Thanks, I knew I was spelling it wrong but I was only half awake and couldn't think straight. The reason I think it is a desori is that if you zoom in to where the cusps would be, if in fact it was a goblin or sandtiger, there doesn't appear to be any wear  or signs of any cusps ever being present. And it does have a desori shape overall.

@Darktooth here is a cuspless Anomolotodon novus, I haven’t seen enough to make a proper judgement though. All desori teeth I’ve seen don’t have shoulders, but this could just be the ones I’ve seen.

C32A8150-989D-48B1-943B-7609FB3FA652.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Notice that goblin sharkteeth have nutrient grooves in the root while makos do not. Your example has one while the tooth in question does not appear to. @WhodamanHD

5 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Notice that goblin sharkteeth have nutrient grooves in the root while makos do not. Your example has one while the tooth in question does not appear to. @WhodamanHD

This is true (not my tooth btw). Hope those other people Tony tagged can confirm the Mako hypothesis.

Happy hunting,

Mason

By the way shouldn't you be in school young man:rofl:  @WhodamanHD  

Snow day:yay-smiley-1:

Teachers wouldn’t notice my epic phone hiding skills if I was at school:ninja::P

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Snow day:yay-smiley-1:

Teachers wouldn’t notice my epic phone hiding skills if I was at school:ninja::P

That explains TODAY, but what about all those other days I see you plastered all over the forum Hmmmmmmmm?

That explains TODAY, but what about all those other days I see you plastered all over the forum Hmmmmmmmm?

Ummmm, global warming?  :D

I only get on TFF before and after school (mostly because it doesn’t make it past the schools restrictions for some reason). And Homework is only 10% of my grade...:P

Happy hunting,

Mason