Limestone something

Malone

I found this in an air pocket in a limestone slab. Had to chip and cut to attain. Anyone else come across similar finds? If you look at it humorusly it looks like a fish sticking its tongue out and sticking one fin in the air. Anyway thought it was worth posting.IMG_2502.thumb.JPG.116c79688a1edddf1238ec2da06155e6.JPG

It’s a normal iron concretion, they have bubbles like this all the time. Not sure exactly what causes them but I suspect it’s whatevers inside (probably iron) eroding/rusting away.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

It’s a normal iron concretion, they have bubbles like this all the time. Not sure exactly what causes them but I suspect it’s whatevers inside (probably iron) eroding/rusting away.

Ditto

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

3 minutes ago, Herb said:

Ditto

Thank you! I wasn't sure it's the first time I saw one, but I just started looking for fossils. Extremely fascinating!

14 hours ago, Malone said:

Thank you! I wasn't sure it's the first time I saw one, but I just started looking for fossils. Extremely fascinating!

Any aulopora experts? It seems similar to some pictures I saw.

It is not an Aulopora, nor is it any sort of a coral.  I see no fossil at all, just an ironstone concretion as Whodaman said.

When asking for an ID, it is important that you tell us the geological age of the specimen, the formation from which it was collected, and the locality (not GPS coordinates, but a nearby town would suffice).  Of these, the locality is most important, as if necessary we can look up geological maps and deduce the age/formation.  You have not provided this information in any of your posts.  From your other post (the "exoskeleton" post), we can infer that at least some of your collecting is in Cretaceous rocks, as the association of Inoceramus with Pseudoperna congesta is only found in the Upper Cretaceous.  Aulopora is a tabulate coral found only in Paleozoic (Ordovician to Permian) rocks, so at least a couple of hundred million years older than your Inoceramus.  

Don