List of Trilobites with Preserved Appendages

piranha

This is the most recent complete list of trilobites described with appendages.  Six trilobites have a complete record of the antennae and post-antennal limbs.

IMG.thumb.png.cddbb40480f929cf5a4765ab5be98678.png

table from:

Zeng, H., Zhao, F., Yin, Z., & Zhu, M. (2017)

Appendages of an Early Cambrian Metadoxidid Trilobite from Yunnan, SW China Support Mandibulate Affinities of Trilobites and Artiopods.

Geological Magazine, 154(6):1306-1328   PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 20
  • Enjoyed 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• Fossildude19 pinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

They also do not list egg preservation in the table. Are the Triarthrus the only ones with preserved eggs?

5 hours ago, Scylla said:

They also do not list egg preservation in the table. Are the Triarthrus the only ones with preserved eggs?

Why would they list eggs in that table?  The list is from a paper on trilobite appendages ... not eggs!

Here are the two most recent papers on possible trilobite eggs:

Bernardez, E., Esteve, J., Laibl, L., Rábano, I., Gutiérrez-Marco, J.C. 2019

Early Postembryonic Trilobite Stages and Possible Eggs from the ‘Tunel Ordovıcico del Fabar’ (Middle Ordovician, Northwestern Spain). Fossils and Strata, 64:23-33  PDF LINK

Hegna, T.A., Martin, M.J., Darroch, S.A.F. 2017

Pyritized in situ Trilobite Eggs from the Ordovician of New York (Lorraine Group): Implications for Trilobite Reproductive Biology. Geology, 45(3):199:202  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 3

10 hours ago, piranha said:

Why would they list eggs in that table?  The list is from a paper on trilobite appendages ... not eggs!

I thought it was about soft tissue preservation in trilobites. Mentioning eggs would make perfect sense when discussing soft tissue preservation

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

I thought it was about soft tissue preservation in trilobites. Mentioning eggs would make perfect sense when discussing soft tissue preservation

Sorry ... but eggs do not make 'perfect sense' as they are completely unrelated to the primary subject of the paper: 

Abstract – Appendage anatomy contributes crucial data for understanding the evolution and ecology of Euarthropoda. The Palaeozoic trilobites show a great diversity of exoskeletons in the fossil record. However, soft parts, especially appendages, have only been discovered from a few trilobite species. Here we report extraordinarily preserved appendages in the trilobite species Hongshiyanaspis yiliangensis Zhang & Lin in Zhang et al. 1980 (Redlichiida, Metadoxididae) from a single mudstone layer of the Xiazhuang fossil assemblage within the Hongjingshao Formation (Cambrian Series 2, Stage 3) near Kunming, Yunnan, SW China. The appendages exhibit the common architecture revealed by other trilobites and artiopods by consisting of a pair of uniramous antennae followed by a series of paired homonomous biramous limbs. The antennae in holaspid individuals comprise up to 27 spinous podomeres and their ontogeny occurs by lengthening of the podomeres. The post-antennal biramous limbs are similar to those in other polymerid trilobites and artiopods by having a single-segmented protopodite and an endopodite comprising seven segments, but possess a unique wide tripartite exopodite with long setae. Sophisticated appendage anatomy, including the body–limb junction, fine setae, putative muscle bundles and duct-type tissues, are also revealed. Appendages of trilobites, artiopods and other upper stem-group euarthropods are compared and summarized. The H. yiliangensis appendages highlight the high morphological disparity of exopodites and the conservativeness of endopodites in trilobites and artiopods. This morphological pattern, together with similar body patterning seen in crustaceans but not in chelicerates, supports the mandibulate affinities of trilobites and at least some artiopods.

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/7/2020 at 11:24 PM, Scylla said:

Mentioning eggs would make perfect sense WHEN  discussing soft tissue preservation. Obviously I would not expect a paper on appendages to discuss eggs. I did not understand that the paper was about appendages since all I had seen was the table. I was trying to explain that with the above posting.

Gentlemen, a misunderstanding has been 'eggsplained'.  We can all 'get a leg up' on trilobite knowledge using the latest links provided by @piranha

:fistbump: 

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ