Megalodon Tooth?

shinsplint5

Hi,

I found this tooth while wading in the water in Cocoa Beach, Florida. I was just catching sea shells in my hand as the waves brought them in, and when I opened my hand, this giant tooth was in it! It is roughly 3 in. in length and 2.5 in. wide. This was years ago, and I'm just now looking into it. Would love to find out what it is!

post-2062-1249672310_thumb.jpg

post-2062-1249672327_thumb.jpg

post-2062-1249672340_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Yes ! A very nice Megalodon ! You are lucky ! :drool:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

Yes ! A very nice Megalodon ! You are lucky ! :drool:

Coco

Cool! Glad I finally looked into it! Any idea how old it may be? Are these things worth money or better as keepsakes?

Cool! Glad I finally looked into it! Any idea how old it may be? Are these things worth money or better as keepsakes?

Age, 10 MYBP (give or take a few).

Value; with a finder's story like that? Priceless. Realistically, given that it's a little banged up, maybe $60 tops.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Age, 10 MYBP (give or take a few).

Value; with a finder's story like that? Priceless. Realistically, given that it's a little banged up, maybe $60 tops.

I don't know what 10 MYBP means, can you explain this in more detail please? Thanks, I appreciate all the help!

Much better as a keepsake given its size and condition. It isn't often you just stumble across one of these things.

I am french, but I suppose it means "10 Millions Years Before Present". The geological age is Miocene.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I am french, but I suppose it means "10 Millions Years Before Present". The geological age is Miocene.

Coco

Wow! Old! Time to google Megalodon and learn some more about this creature!

Guest Smilodon
Hi,

I found this tooth while wading in the water in California. I was just catching sea shells in my hand as the waves brought them in, and when I opened my hand, this giant tooth was in it! It is roughly 3.5 in. in length and 2.5 in. wide. This was years ago, and I'm just now looking into it. Would love to find out what it is!

Nice one - what beach/location?

Guest N.AL.hunter

Notice of lost Meg Tooth!!

Please keep your eyes out for a 3.5 inch x 2.5 inch meg tooth I lost while swimming off the coast of California a few years back. If you find my tooth, please let me know and I'll send you my address :)

Notice of lost Meg Tooth!!

Please keep your eyes out for a 3.5 inch x 2.5 inch meg tooth I lost while swimming off the coast of California a few years back. If you find my tooth, please let me know and I'll send you my address :)

:D

California megalodons are quite uncommon. Almost all I've seen are from Bakersfield, and those will sell for a pretty penny. I know that teeth from other sites are out there, but I have NEVER seen one for sale. Your tooth is far from perfect, but the rare location and the story make it a very significant piece.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Looks a lot less than 3 1/2" to me.

My bad :blush: , and I just edited the info! As you can see by the measure placed next to it, it is roughly 3 inches.

California megalodons are quite uncommon. Almost all I've seen are from Bakersfield, and those will sell for a pretty penny. I know that teeth from other sites are out there, but I have NEVER seen one for sale. Your tooth is far from perfect, but the rare location and the story make it a very significant piece.

:blink:

Turns out I made a mistake, when double checking where I found my tooth (due to the fact that I found it over 10 years ago), I realized that it was actually in Cocoa Beach, Florida. I suppose this would alter the significance.

To have one just dropped into your hand, amazing! :drool:

I know! Very flukey! I ran out of the water quick because such a big tooth scared me!

Very nice find! Did you find it near Venice Beach?

Cocoa Beach is on the east coast of Florida. If you draw a line east (roughly) from Gainsville you will find it. Been there. In incredible find for that location...You don't put a price tag on that :drool:

Be true to the reality you create.

A little more information on your tooth. Your Carchardon megalodon tooth is from the lower part of a Meg jaw. The lower teeth puncture and pull toward the back of the throat and hold while the upper teeth broader slice through meat and also of course hold. Lower teeth puncture and upper teeth slice. You have a very nice tooth.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

A little more information on your tooth. Your Carchardon megalodon tooth is from the lower part of a Meg jaw. The lower teeth puncture and pull toward the back of the throat and hold while the upper teeth broader slice through meat and also of course hold. Lower teeth puncture and upper teeth slice. You have a very nice tooth.

Thanks for the added info!!!