Otodus Auriculatus

DatFossilBoy

This is my Otodus Auriculatus shark tooth that I got for quite cheap (30$) from the same inexperienced seller who sold me my trilobite.

He sold it to me as being a Megalodon. :) 

I think its a good deal because Its 7cm diagonal and is quite nicely preserved.What do you think?

Hope you like the post!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice! Moroccan I presume? I got one online very similar, though slightly bigger and more damaged (as well as more posterior). I wonder how common they are there.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sorry I have very limited information,the fact that the seller thought that it was a meg explains it.

Dont know anything about there rarity either...

Amateur collector problems haha.

Nice tooth. 

I have several I have labelled Otudus obliquus and I sent one in my Secret Santa package too. I don't now about sharks really though. 

They're pretty easy to get hold of here for just a few dirham. I was given four for free by a friend's dad who works at a museum and has hundreds of 'em.

As for Otodus auriculatis, I haven't been paying attention, so don't know.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It has serrated edges, so not your typical Otodus obliquus. I don't have enough knowledge of Moroccan teeth to tell you more.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It has serrated edges, so not your typical Otodus obliquus. I don't have enough knowledge of Moroccan teeth to tell you more.

It’s an Auriculatus;)

I was told mine (I actually have a few other ones, I got’em cheap as well.) came from Dakhla (Eocene).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This has the preservation of the teeth from Western Sahara (Dakhla) area. If so these auriculatus are a late stage development guessing referred to as C. sokolovi. 

24 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

It’s an Auriculatus;)

I was told mine (I actually have a few other ones, I got’em cheap as well.) came from Dakhla (Eocene).

Yes thank you, its correct, always make the same mistake...

shamefull!

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

This has the preservation of the teeth from Western Sahara (Dakhla) area. If so these auriculatus are a late stage development guessing referred to as C. sokolovi

I don’t trust the O. Sokolovi ID for these, I went through looking at the diagnostic features for them and they appear more primitive. Just my observations (which have in the past been wrong)

Happy hunting,

Mason

My understanding is that the teeth from this region are C(O). sokolovi.  A paper was published looking at the marine fauna of Western Egypt but also showed in an appendix the Western Sahara fauna and described this morphology as cf  O. sokolovi.  Not sure if there is a specific paper was ever published but this is the best I have.

@WhodamanHD

Screenshot_20180218-163941.thumb.jpg.358db2a8241d65706c6e5e8a3d7406a0.jpg

Screenshot_20180218-163815.thumb.jpg.bff462e44dc4f0c137f10388ca68d77e.jpg

Paper

elasmo_fossils_eocene_qattara_egypt_zalmout_etal_2012.pdf

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

My understanding is that the teeth from this region are C(O). sokolovi.  A paper was published looking at the marine fauna of Western Egypt but also showed in an appendix the Western Sahara fauna and described this morphology as cf  O. sokolovi.  Not sure if there is a specific paper was ever published but this is the best I have.

I think there is some debate as to whether sokolovi is even a valid name (lumper splitter thing). I tend to lump it because a tooth I have from Harlyville has regular serrations (as you expect from a sokolovi) and the “sokolovi” from dakhla has irregular (in terms of size) serrations (auriculatus like). Maybe it’s just regional variation. Anyway, great reference! The teeth seem very common indeed there. 

Happy hunting,

Mason