Is it really a juvenile Mosasaur? What are your thoughts?

Mattodon

36 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Don't worry, you are not the first and will not be the last to be duped by these fake jaws with real teeth. 

There are thousands of these out there, they seem to be produced here on a production line. 

And people keep buying them, unawares. 

I feel it is part of my job and the Fossil Forums to point out to purchasers and sellers what is real and what isn't.

I recently explained to two sellers in Spain about their mosasaur material (and other stuff as well). Though I've been conned too, (not with mosasaurs, with trilobites, but the forum has taught me a lot, I will be harder to fool in the future). 

And of course it's a good idea for us to come here before we make any future purchases online. 

Slowly the word spreads. 

At least I didnt pay too much for it. And I think the excavation project will be fun! I will definitely do more research before I ever purchase any more fossils

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Mattodon said:

At least I didnt pay too much for it. And I think the excavation project will be fun! I will definitely do more research before I ever purchase any more fossils

:)

I look forward to the thread. 

Just go very, very slowly, some of these teeth may be fragile and glued firmly into place. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

39 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Don't worry, you are not the first and will not be the last to be duped by these fake jaws with real teeth. 

There are thousands of these out there, they seem to be produced here on a production line. 

I feel it is part of my job and the Fossil Forums to point out to purchasers and sellers what is real and what isn't.

I recently explained to two sellers in Spain about their mosasaur material (and other stuff as well). Though I've been conned too, (not with mosasaurs, with trilobites, but the forum has taught me a lot, I will be harder to fool in the future). 

And of course it's a good idea for us to come here before we make any future purchases online. 

Slowly the word spreads. 

And thanks again for the support!

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

:)

I look forward to the thread. 

Just go very, very slowly, some of these teeth may be fragile and glued firmly into place. 

I will post as I go along. I think I am going to practice on the safe parts of the fossil and work my way in. Plenty of pictures and narration!

Hi @Mattodon

Unfortunately,as it has been said many times, it is a fake jaw(normally goat bone) with real mosasaur teeth, It is a huge market of fake jaws.

My friend recently bought a fake piece like this. After he realised it was fake, he dug into the sandstone with some tools,to extract, very easily(because they were very badly stuck to the fake jaw)the mosasaur teeth and displayed them.

Then comes a very fun activity and good results, he excavated the sandstone and found nice little tooth (shark tooth I imagine) and small bone fragments. The sandstone is original and may have something interesting in it, you never know! 

Be careful next time!  :)

Regards, Thomas

Yep, best to just avoid mosasaur stuff all together when starting a collection unless you know what your buying.

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Slowly the word spreads. 

rydysig.JPG

2 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

Yep, best to just avoid mosasaur stuff all together when starting a collection unless you know what your buying.

It's so hard to get hold of good fossils in SA I am sure not to make the same mistake again!

Just now, Mattodon said:

It's so hard to get hold of good fossils in SA I am sure not to make the same mistake again!

My advice is look for the scraps, broken stuff, things that are less appealing are usually more genuine, also you can post the piece on the forum BEFORE you buy it any time if your really clueless; if you look at more fossils you'll eventually be able to see right through the common fakes. Good luck :ammonite01:   

rydysig.JPG

3 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Hi @Mattodon

Unfortunately,as it has been said many times, it is a fake jaw(normally goat bone) with real mosasaur teeth, It is a huge market of fake jaws.

My friend recently bought a fake piece like this. After he realised it was fake, he dug into the sandstone with some tools,to extract, very easily(because they were very badly stuck to the fake jaw)the mosasaur teeth and displayed them.

Then comes a very fun activity and good results, he excavated the sandstone and found nice little tooth (shark tooth I imagine) and small bone fragments. The sandstone is original and may have something interesting in it, you never know! 

Be careful next time!  :)

Regards, Thomas

This news makes the excavation even more of an exciting process!! I will definitely be more careful next time. Not that it's easy to get hold of fossils in South Africa, though now at least I can begin to spot fakes.

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, RyanDye said:

My advice is look for the scraps, broken stuff, things that are less appealing are usually more genuine, also you can post the piece on the forum BEFORE you buy it any time if your really clueless; if you look at more fossils you'll eventually be able to see right through the common fakes. Good luck :ammonite01:   

Thanks RyanDye! That's a good tip. I will definitely keep that in mind in future.