My 1st Haul. Id ideas please.

Andy B

Hi,

I may have met some of you in the New Member area tonight. If not, Hello from NJ!!

I went to Big Brook Saturday and actually found some teeth (who would have thought!?). I felt like a bit of a scientist out there all by myself with my camping shovel and gravel screener. There aren't many sharks to choose from in that area (at least not as far as Fossil Guy's website shows). I would be happy to have some ID opinions.

Here are the 3 that looked like teeth to me. They all seem to be from different shark types based on color and shape/style. But beyond that, I would be guessing. One of them is a whiter color than the others and has one cusplet still attached. I would guess Mackerel Shark. The other tooth with a more common looking root attached is also more triangular, with no cusplets, at least not any remaining on the root. Maybe a Mackerel Shark as well but missing the cusplets? The other tooth appears similar to a Sand Tiger or Goblin, less the full root. But it doesn't look broken or worn down at the root, so maybe it is a fish tooth?? That one tooth looks like it came from an Acorn Shark :doh!:

These were all in the silt bottom or in the gravel. I'll leave it at that for now. I have some others to show you guys but I'll try not to wear out my welcome yet. ;)

Thanks for any ideas or information.

Andy

smIMG_3882.jpg

smIMG_3883.jpg

smIMG_3884.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The teeth on the right and left will probably be easily identified, however I've never seen a tooth quite like the one in the middle, very intriguing! :shrug:

I'd be interested to see what @Fossildude19 has to say.:popcorn:

rydysig.JPG

Thee first 2 look like Scapanorhynchus texanus,  and the third one looks like Cretolamna appendiculata.

Maybe some of the more frequent hunters can confirm or deny.  ;) 

@Jeffrey P @njfossilhunter @Trevor

LINK

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not that I am an expert here (never been) but I can corroborate the third being a cretalamna (which I believe it is, they meant to say cretolamna but misspelled it in the original paper:doh!:) appendiculata.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hello, from left to right you have: an upper lateral Scapanorhynchus texanus, an anterior S. Texanus, and an anterior Archaeolamna kopingensis.

• I found this Informative 5

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

3 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Hello, from left to right you have: an upper lateral Scapanorhynchus texanus, an anterior S. Texanus, and an anterior Archaeolamna kopingensis.

I agree.

• I found this Informative 3