Bone identification please

Chomper

better yet, lick it when you have an audience and you have just told them it is fossilized poop..."but you can't tell by the taste!"

8 minutes ago, jpc said:

"but you can't tell by the taste!"

It would clue you in if it were to be modern though. :) 

The bryozoan in Lorie's example is on the coprolite.

The bryozoan (by some accounts) in the original post was on the shell (if it is a bryozoan) which left the molds.

If it's not a bryozoan how did the feature form ? 

54 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The bryozoan in Lorie's example is on the coprolite.

The bryozoan (by some accounts) in the original post was on the shell (if it is a bryozoan) which left the molds.

If it's not a bryozoan how did the feature form ? 

Yeah, I haven't cleaned mine up yet. The bryozoan on mine is is modern. Chomper's probably fell on an encrusted gastropod while fresh (provided it is a coprolite). @Chomper, you really picked the perfect screen name. :P I think you should change your avatar to the selfie you took proving stickage.

10 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Yeah, I haven't cleaned mine up yet. The bryozoan on mine is is modern. Chomper's probably fell on an encrusted gastropod while fresh (provided it is a coprolite). @Chomper, you really picked the perfect screen name. :P I think you should change your avatar to the selfie you took proving stickage.

So the final verdict looks like it is a coprolite? No one else needs to see me with poop on my tongue! Avatar stays. LOL

4 minutes ago, Chomper said:

So the final verdict looks like it is a coprolite?

Well, science probably does have a higher court if you want to dig deeper into the evidence.

If not that's fine to. :) 

On 2/22/2018 at 8:15 PM, Chomper said:

I found this over the summer at stratford hall in VA.

Where was it found exactly, along the Stratford Hall beach?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

15 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Yes.

Edited by Chomper

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, GeschWhat said:

It sticks, really? Chert does not stick. It is possible that it is a coprolite. It could have come to rest on the sea floor (hence the gastropod imprints), and those boring clams do seem to like the calcium phosphate.

@Carl

Licking it YUUUUCK !!!

There has got to be a joke in there somewhere.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I'm sure it must have been in the river. The beach is private property. ;)

15 hours ago, Chomper said:

Yes.

I can imagine Turritella gastropods eroded away from the matrix. Turritella plebeia was collected along the shores, also coprolites were found there, mentioned in J. Burns. 1991. Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States: With Localities, Collecting Tips, and Illustrations of More than 450 Fossil Specimens .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

29 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I can imagine Turritella gastropods eroded away from the matrix. Turritella plebeia was collected along the shores, also coprolites were found there, mentioned in J. Burns. 1991. Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States: With Localities, Collecting Tips, and Illustrations of More than 450 Fossil Specimens .

Anyone planning a trip should do some checking in advance. At least a few of these sites do not have the same accessibility now.