What on earth?

indominus rex

I was scrolling through an auction site when I found this "Hollardops" and "Gerastos" for sale for a reasonable price. I was wondering if it is fake and whether the "Gerastos" was glued on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I don't think either of those names are correct for this piece. Instead, the larger one is likely a Leonaspis sp. while the smaller one is likely a Phacops sp. (or possibly Reedops, but hard to tell).

Although associations are possible, this does look glued - just judging by the pictures, of course. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yeah something doesn't look right about how the smaller trilo is attached. But your pic is blurry which doesn't help. Can you try to take a better pic of were it is attached?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Yeah something doesn't look right about how the smaller trilo is attached. But your pic is blurry which doesn't help. Can you try to take a better pic of were it is attached?

I'm sorry I don't have any better pictures of it from the seller. However what are your thoughts on the authenticity of the Leonaspis?

The Leonaspis does look real, although it would be best if there were some further images from the seller. One thing I always look for is the discovery crack.

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

The Leonaspis does look real, although it would be best if there were some further images from the seller. One thing I always look for is the discovery crack.

Good idea, but there appears to be no cracks on this one.

Hm. On second thought, the pleura on the right mid to lower section looks odd, almost as though there were bubbles. Again, very challenging to make out with this seller's images.

But, for now, and as a general guide, this article on how to spot fake trilobites: https://www.paleodirect.com/fake-trilobites-how-to-identify/

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Hm. On second thought, the pleura on the right mid to lower section looks odd, almost as though there were bubbles. Again, very challenging to make out with this seller's images.

But, for now, and as a general guide, this article on how to spot fake trilobites: https://www.paleodirect.com/fake-trilobites-how-to-identify/

Thanks, I have already read that article before and it is very helpful. I will purchase this trilobite and then I will check if it is real or fake. Thank you for your help. Regards

3 hours ago, indominus rex said:

I will purchase this trilobite and then I will check if it is real or fake. Thank you for your help. Regards

Both trilobites look real to me, but if where you I would wait and spend my money on a better piece. There are way better and more beautifel associations on the market.

21 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Both trilobites look real to me, but if where you I would wait and spend my money on a better piece. There are way better and more beautifel associations on the market.

Yes but it is at quite a low price for how much they normally cost.

While the trilobites look fine on these pictures. The prepping style makes me automatically suspicious. That pattern is very common for hiding seams where things are glued. If this was real, why not smooth out the matrix and make it MUCH prettier in the process. If this is real, the preparator made the wrong style choice by making it look like a fake. In my opinion, there's no reason to use this pattern if there is nothing to hide.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite