Fossil preparers in Oregon

SULLY

Good morning. I live in Oregon and I am looking for people that can “Professionally” do fossil preparation and restoration. I have specimens that are still in their field jackets. I have some specimens that just need some touch up. I have contacts in other states that are more than qualified that I have used in the past. But it always makes me nervous shipping specimens anywhere to be honest. I have had femurs that were packaged extremely well and still showed up snapped in half. Or on the smaller boxes for like teeth or claws end up missing. To say the least, it’s very frustrating and nerve racking! So what I’m looking for is someone local that will do top end work. And I would prefer someone that will have references or even people on here that can back their abilities up from personal experience. I 100% understand that when you want top quality, you’re going to pay a price for that and that’s ok. I also understand that quality takes time to achieve. So just to be clear, I’m not one of those guys that’s going to drop off the specimen on Monday, and then call you on Friday and ask if it’s done yet. It gets done when it gets done. Obviously If we get to the sixth month mark, I’ll probably reach out to you to make sure everything is fine. So now for keeping the admins happy. I think you need to PM me your information and not publicly post it because they don’t want to have people doing any business advertising If I understand them correctly. But please feel free to publicly post that you are sending your information my way and that way If anyone on here has used your services, they can speak up. I think that part is okay per the admin. I’m sure they will let us know shortly if I was wrong. Thank you everyone ahead of time.

Sincerely, J

I wish you the best of luck Sully.  I do know one guy in Oregon who is really good but he only works for himself.  I too only work for myself.  It may help to see what youve got for prep?

RB

I run into a lot of that. And that's fine. I totally understand what it's like when you turn a hobby that you love into a job and then it's not so fun anymore. I will have to make time to un-box some specimens and take some pics of them. At some point in my life I would like to start doing it for myself as well. It's just getting the time to commit to it right now and having the appropriate space to facilitate that. After I get my land sold, we are going to do a new house with a big shop that will allow me to do such things. But until then, I prefer to pay someone that is already skilled and set up to take on such a task. i appreciate your reply and suggestion. Thank you!

I do prep work here in TN but that is quite a far way from Oregon. Perhaps try asking at a local museum or fossil club?

For some strange reason, our area lacks people that are involved in this field. If I lived in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and so on, I would not have any problems at all. We literally have one store here in Oregon that deals in dinosaur specimens. It's frustrating as hell.

Your state (Oregon) has a HUGE fossil area in the form of John Day fossil beds. I have dealt with a few individuals connected to that. Plus I have a donated fossil in the collection of the University of Oregon fossil museum. You might give them a jingle and someone may point you in the right direction to a good preparer.

Dorensigbadges.JPG