Plant fossils in flint?

StevenJD

17 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

I'm of no help in this area, just had to comment on the interesting preservation. 

You're just disappointed it isn't poop!

Certainly looks like plant to me. And nice pieces to boot.

Those are rare and excellent finds with a high scientific interest. They are plant remains in chert. Chert nodules indicate Edwards. They are present in the Albian, Lower Cretaceous strata, of northwest Texas. One of the conifers resembles the extant genus Dacrydium, which might be my ID for the specimens in question. There were described also other species, like ferns, conifers, angiosperms.

reference: B. S. Serlin. 1982. An early cretaceous fossil flora from northwest Texas: Its composition and implications. Palaeontographica 182B: 52-86

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You might want to talk with a professional palebontanist. There is a small chance that like the Rhynie Chert of Scotland that they might be three-dimensional petrifications. This would be a fantastic and unique find for Cretaceous plant fossils.

That is so cool! Nice find!:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I recall another thread about some beautiful Edwards Formation chert plant fossils from a few years ago, but I haven't hit the right combination of key words to bring it up in a search.  Anyway, for us plant fossil aficionados those are spectacular specimens! :wub:

Edit: Found it!

Don

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

I recall another thread about some beautiful Edwards Formation chert plant fossils from a few years ago, but I haven't hit the right combination of key words to bring it up in a search...

Weichselia... use the Force, Luke... LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I did exactly that, about 5 minutes ago (see edit in my post).  Of course I would not have found it without the huge clue you provided, so thank you.

Don

4 hours ago, Oxytropidoceras said:

they might be three-dimensional petrifications

7 minutes ago, piranha said:

Weichselia

In my opinion, is not Weichselia.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

In my opinion, is not Weichselia.

Please read more carefully. 

I did not say it was Weichselia.  It is obviously not Weichselia.  I said: the paper described a fern.

The paper was simply posted to show another Lower Creatceous plant preserved in a chert nodule.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I'm leaning toward this one: Dacrydium .

1200px-Dacrydium_balansae.thumb.JPG.79a86a40d1d22551d28bc54c31abb492.JPG

I can see the difference in 3-D, but is just me.

Thomas Mann

My Library

10 minutes ago, piranha said:

I did not say it was Weichselia.  It is obviously not Weichselia.

Correct!

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, piranha said:

Yes, I can tell the difference between a conifer and a fern!  :P  lol 

GENIUS! I could never begin to even start thinking about the slightest inkling of a contemplation about the (extremely subtle) differences between the plants!:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

am truly amazed at this! Would have thought this was a colonial marine organism of some sort. All the chert I have ever experienced had marine inclusions, if any. Shows that our collective experience exceeds the individual's knowledge. Have learned something new today.

5 hours ago, Plax said:

am truly amazed at this! Would have thought this was a colonial marine organism of some sort. All the chert I have ever experienced had marine inclusions, if any. Shows that our collective experience exceeds the individual's knowledge. Have learned something new today.

I agree,

I also thought chert was marine in origin.  Very informative!

Archived