I need Magnification Recommendations.

oldtimer

I have come to the conclusion that I need something to magnify my specimens for prep and viewing. Any recommendations?

I know a microscope is a big help however I am thinking of a table clamp or floor mount style magnifier with the lamp. What is a good one or one I should stay away from? 

Also what power should I be looking at getting? I looked at ones at Harbor Freight and a hobby store but the were low power, like 2X. That did not

seem like very much for working on small shells and such.

For prep, I would definitely be looking at 5x and up... 2x is a bit too small. Make sure it has a nice, powerful ring light: light seems to diffuse to dimmer up close! :P Anything more than 20x will probably be a waste for viewing and prep. I also have something similar to an Optivisor (5x-25x) with side-mounted LED lights, as well as a good jeweller's loupe (8x) when I just need to quickly check on a detail away from the prep bench microscope. Of course, for serious prep, nothing beats a good binocular microscope with a Barlow lens, but that will run you serious money!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I have looked at an optivisor and probably will do that.  I have some cheap 10x to 25x glasses with led lights. The 10x works good like a loupe but the work is too close to the lens to do any prep.  Great for viewing close up. I also am wanting to get the clamp on style with a large round lens and ring light. Seems this would be very versatile. Any recommendations on that style, brand  and a place to get one? 

Most of those clamp on ring lights yiu find at the "big box" stores only go up to a 3x lens, which doesn't help me squat.

need something more in the 10x and above to help me see anything.

I get eye strain pretty bad having a loupe in one eye. So many magnifiers have a field of vision of 1.5 to 2 inches which makes prepping somewhat impractical.

I can't afford expensive microscopes and the such.

Dorensigbadges.JPG