Sphyraenus barracuda?

Bone guy

Hello. I was IDing some fish jaws and I'm stumped on this one. I'm thinking sphyraenus barracuda, since this jaw came from Florida. It's 3 inches exact, tooth sockets approx 3/8'' for the larger ones.

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

To me the teeth holes do indeed look like they belong to a barracuda.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I'm not sure what type of fish this belongs to but it is not barracuda. Your jaw shows round teeth, barracuda have lens shaped teeth.

• I found this Informative 5

I know very little about fish jaws (not something I usually find). I do sort through micro-matrix from Florida quite regularly and all of the teeth that I find that are ascribed to Barracuda tend to be fairly flattened and not at all round like the tooth sockets (alveoli) shown in the first picture above. You can do a google image search on "barracuda teeth" to find all sorts of interesting (and ominous) images of Barracudas sporting mouthfuls of sharp pointies. A search even came up with a nice image from this forum from some time back. Here's a good example of some Barracuda teeth that I think will demonstrate why I don't believe the shape of the teeth seem to match my understanding of Barracuda.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/25014-all-barracuda-teeth/

I see a lot of round "button" pharyngeal teeth from different species of drums but comparisons to online images don't really seem to match.

Slow typing has made my reply show up after a more authoritative response from Al Dente. I think you can be sure that you can cross Barracuda off the list of suspects.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

I learn something new everyday. Ok so since it's not barracuda this just got way more confusing. I don't see how it can be drum because the holes get progressively smaller as you go up the jaw which I thought was more characteristic of predatory fish hmm.

I can't find any pictures of a sphyraenodus jaw bone for comparison but I certainly am starting to lean towards istiophoridae. Maybe wahoo?

Here's an online photo of a Wahoo jaw from the Calvert Cliffs:

https://calvertmarinemuseumpaleontology.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/daily-fossil-photo-weekend-wahoo/

I haven't fished in decades and never in saltwater but from what I can see online Wahoo teeth also appear to be more of the flattened triangular shape similar to Barracuda (but more evenly sized and regularly spaced).

wahoo.png

Still seems like a bit of a mystery (which is good--we'll all learn something if we get this solved). Did you find this item yourself or was it given to you? Do you have a detailed idea of exactly where it was found? A locality might help with possible identification.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ah, a garfish--that definitely looks like a closer match. A promising new lead!

Cheers.

-Ken

I'm now 99.99% sure this is Atractosteus. The teeth are the right size, plus I noticed there are sockets from smaller teeth scattered around which is characteristic of gar. Thanks for all the help guys, good detective work!