Sizev_McJol

This bulbous looking thing is an enigma to me my best guess is the head of a crynoid of sorts. Found at a construction site in Illinois, so the age is likely Devonian-Carboniferous. Anyone else see something like this?

0B4F0C8D-B0F3-40F4-B38E-459D79739AC9.jpeg

CAE18E38-AF41-4F4A-AC08-6106EAC18003.jpeg

ED12880C-83AD-4B5C-9B1D-52725AB467E8.jpeg

150A2A83-45AE-47F7-8751-C4BBE1CED208.jpeg

899B46B1-75FD-42CE-89A7-FC9268E9A6C1.jpeg

I'm pretty certain it is an internal mold of the living chamber of a nautiloid along the lines of Phragmoceras.  These occur in some of the Silurian dolomitic formations in northern Indiana.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I wonder if it is possible that this is a very worn rugose coral. :headscratch:The irregularity of the banding, plus (what I can judge from the images here) the appearance of septae lines in images #3 and #4, might attest to that?

150A2A83-45AE-47F7-8751-C4BBE1CED208.jpeg.d5913dee461414acde2a97ce5a844ab0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm pretty certain it is an internal mold of the living chamber of a nautiloid along the lines of Phragmoceras.  These occur in some of the Silurian dolomitic formations in northern Indiana.

Don

That is an idea I never would have guessed. I’ll research that. 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I wonder if it is possible that this is a very worn rugose coral. :headscratch:The irregularity of the banding, plus (what I can judge from the images here) the appearance of septae lines in images #3 and #4, might attest to that?

150A2A83-45AE-47F7-8751-C4BBE1CED208.jpeg.d5913dee461414acde2a97ce5a844ab0.jpeg

I just spent al last night cataloging my rugose corals, and now that you mention it, yeah there are some similarities. 

Better photos would be useful.  There may be septa there but on my monitor the photo is so blurry I don't really see them.  Maybe my computer needs glasses?

Don

9 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Better photos would be useful.  There may be septa there but on my monitor the photo is so blurry I don't really see them.  Maybe my computer needs glasses?

Don

You're quite eagle-eyed with IDs, so it could still be as you say. That being said, I am able to see a few other details that causes me to question the provisional ID. But perhaps better photos will help us all. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It might be a worn rugose coral, with some Beekite formation visible in the third picture.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You're probably right about it being a rugose coral.  I need to stop trying to ID blurry blobs.

Don

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

51 minutes ago, Kane said:

You're quite eagle-eyed with IDs, so it could still be as you say. That being said, I am able to see a few other details that causes me to question the provisional ID. But perhaps better photos will help us all. 

I wish I could. I take 4K photos with my iPhone, but the images are too large to upload on the site. When I downgrade the image size (and quality) this is the result I get. :( 

17 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

...I need to stop trying to ID blurry blobs.

Try these:

:P

Wi-Focals.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

10 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

They are better, and they show septa that confirm the ID of rugose coral.

Don

Great! Thank you Don!