rocket

Hi along

I´ve got a strange fossil jaw two years ago and startet prep some days ago.

In the first time I thought it might be a ptero, but after starting prep I am sure it is a fish.

But.., never seen teeths like this

Does anyone has an idea about it?

I do not know much about it. Should be upper cretaceous, but might be tertiary. 90% sure is, that it´s origin are the United states, Comes from a Collection from Nebraska.

Length of the jaw is approx 12 cm, max high of the longest tooth is 6 cm

tnx for input

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Welcome to :tff:!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I'm pretty sure that you're right and that it's a fish, but no idea what species. 

Somebody will be along with ideas soon, i'm sure. 

A very warm welcome to TFF from Morroco! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi, thanks to all for the warm welcome

Prep goes on so I hope to have some more better pics this week

I am a looongtime fossilcollector with main in Cretaceous, and never seen a jaw like this before

hope, someone will know

thanks, Frank

Edited by rocket

prep goes on...

bone of the jaw is free of Stone now (see pic 1,3)

what do you think?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I think it's one fish I'd be afraid to reach in and remove the hook from. Good job on the matrix removal.

Are you planning on a mount display?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Maybe something close to Ischyrhiza ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

If you don't get any answers here, you can contact Mike Everhart at Oceans of Kansas. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to Kansas fossils - and a super nice guy. I've picked his brain several times.  You could also try contacting the Sternberg Museum.  If you find something before getting an answer here, please let us know what you find out!

Hi, thanks for the respond and the contact Details. I´ve tried to give Mike a mail but could not find a direct mailadress on his Website. 

Absolutely, I will let the Forum know what it is (when we can figure it out). Very strange Fossil...

Now I think it looks more close to Brychaetus muelleri, but that is smaller than yours. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

I think it's one fish I'd be afraid to reach in and remove the hook from. Good job on the matrix removal.

Are you planning on a mount display?

Hi, thank for your post. At the end I do not know what to do, Display or not, hm.

Very hard to remove the hook, fragile bones, sometimes hard sometime toooooooooooooo soft, uuuuuh.

But it goes on, hope to finish it next week

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Now I think it looks more close to Brychaetus muelleri, but that is smaller than yours. :headscratch:

never seen before, after searching in the WWW and comparing might be something like this. But, when I compare the way the teeths are arranged they are in different ways. But, thanks a lot for the idea, helps a lot

I´ve got a notice that it might be a very early relative of an odontocete due to the arrangment of the teeths and the "cap" every tooth has.

I do not think so, but have no deep knowlegde about These fossils

Any chance it could be Paleogene? Looks very close to Eutrichiurides or a related large Trichiuridae, they have similar tooth morphology with a "cap" on top. But they appeared in Paleocene. 

Картинки по запросу eutrichiurides

The Tooth Fairy

131aa3.jpg.ed94ae8785f142b1855deaa45b69500b.jpg130aa3.jpg.1290051a3ac94d1c687388e206782954.jpg

labeled on sale as Brychaetus muelleri

Thomas Mann

My Library

Eutrichiurides or a relative, hm, might be, lot of things are possible.. Seller says, cretaceous, but... without Knowledge about the place where it was found it could be palaegene, too. I cound not find any forams when I prepare the Stone, hard to say without. Anomotodon: where do yours come from? US or outside?

e.g. Mike wrote, he wrote that he thinks it might be perhaps perhaps something like a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge gar (like a Lepi) but it Looks like that he has no 100%-idea

It's a monster! :D

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

there are some new ideas around, two vertebrate-palaeos think it might be a snake like portugalophis  they are a bit unsure because of the "caps", but everything else fits (as could seen on the Photo...).

I think I will give it to one of them for a while for a better Analysis. Strange one...

Well, one thing's for sure: It'd sure be effective at slicing steak up quick! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 minute ago, rocket said:

:ighappy: yes, it Looks like a loooooooooooooooooong way for the Piece to get it´s ID

Well, when all else fails, ask a paleontologist!:hammer01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.