Rusty Bones

tracer

sometimes you can come upon fossils which are very cool but very difficult to deal with. you see them, go "yay!", and then pick them up, and go "nooooo!"

this is just one of many tales in the city. er, country.

the pictures below are of fossil bone that happened to undergo diagenetic mineral replacement/addition in an environment in which something along the lines of siderite (iron carbonate) was formed. i blame bacteria and a reducing environment, but then again, i talk a lot of snarge.

this is a bad thing. (not me talking snarge - the iron bone thing)

bone of this type can be very well "mineralized", but it's with an unstable mineral. basically, the bone rusts and falls apart. the cancellous inner bone crumbles, and the cortical outer bone splits/delaminates and falls off.

so my bones are rusting. don't let yours.

p.s. - if you don't think this kind of stuff is interesting, then you need to start posting more interesting stuff that i can read, otherwise be warned, i've got thousands of lame ideas for posts on here...oh, the pictures!

post-488-1249852640_thumb.jpg

post-488-1249852654_thumb.jpg

post-488-1249852895_thumb.jpg

post-488-1249852678_thumb.jpg

Nice finds, I have a rusty Trilobite and some rusty plant fossils as well.

They make for interesting specimens and examples of odd mineralization.

You need carnuba wax. Not sure thats spelled right? hmmm

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

well, really, the problem with a mineral that's unstable in the presence of oxygen is that you can either keep all oxygen away from it forever, or you can chemically convert all of it to a mineral that's stable, or you can let it oxidize and serve as a poignant reminder to you every time you look at it that we're all slowly, or not so slowly, oxidizing away. <suddenly and unexpectedly bursting into tears and running from the room>

that was kinda funny, i thought.

well, really, the problem with a mineral that's unstable in the presence of oxygen is that you can either keep all oxygen away from it forever, or you can chemically convert all of it to a mineral that's stable, or you can let it oxidize and serve as a poignant reminder to you every time you look at it that we're all slowly, or not so slowly, oxidizing away. <suddenly and unexpectedly bursting into tears and running from the room>

Is that what happened to Lee Majors

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

That is why I am having titanium knees put in so when tracers great great lot of great grandson finds me 10,000 years from now he will not have to deal with rust. You can thank me later tracer

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Rusty Nail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz Scotch

1/2 oz Drambuie

1 twist of Lemon peel

Mixing instructions:

Pour the Scotch and Drambuie into an old-fashioned glass almost filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with the lemon twist.