Jump to content
hashemdbouk

Calvert cliffs advice

Recommended Posts

hashemdbouk

Hi all,

 

I am trying to plan out my first fossil hunting trip of 2018, and I would love to go to Calvert Cliffs. I was wondering if anyone had any insight or advice regarding hunting spots, etc... any advice would be appreciated!

 

Thanks,

H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

There are a few nice places on the cliffs. If your looking for teeth and bone, Brownies beach is the place to go. Bring waders so you can get south past the point and the teeth are there for the taking. Timing to get there when the most erosion has taken place and the least people have already checked (as well as tides) help significantly in my experience, but you can find things even when all three of these are against you. Good luck! Feel free to ask me any questions here or over PM! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl

Stratford Hall is a neat place to go. Get some history added with the prehistory visiting Robert E. Lee's place. 2 in one combo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashemdbouk
13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

There are a few nice places on the cliffs. If your looking for teeth and bone, Brownies beach is the place to go. Bring waders so you can get south past the point and the teeth are there for the taking. Timing to get there when the most erosion has taken place and the least people have already checked (as well as tides) help significantly in my experience, but you can find things even when all three of these are against you. Good luck! Feel free to ask me any questions here or over PM! 

 

6 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Stratford Hall is a neat place to go. Get some history added with the prehistory visiting Robert E. Lee's place. 2 in one combo!

 

Thanks both! @WhodamanHD I'll definitely PM you to ask questions. Since i'll be going down from NY, i will plan to spend a few days, so will try to hit up other stuff around the area, so yay for some sight seeing and hopefully lots of shark teeth :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashemdbouk

@HoppeHunting that's fantastic, thank you for all the details! After reading this, i may try to go next week, maybe even take a day off work so i can have a head start. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3eds2w

Oh, wow.  Great info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P

In addition to the excellent advice already provided, I would suggest checking the tidal charts. You want to avoid high tide when most or all of the beach is submerged. You want to get there an hour, two or three before the low tide to maximize your collecting time. As long as you're in that area, you might consider checking out Purse State Park on the Potomac. It is about an hour away from Bayfront Park and is a much older (Paleocene) fauna and thus good for a change of pace. You'll want to check the tidal charts for there as well. Because of the variation of tides I've been able to visit both sites at low tide in the same day. Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailingAlongToo
15 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Stratford Hall is a neat place to go. Get some history added with the prehistory visiting Robert E. Lee's place. 2 in one combo!

 

Just remember at Stratford Hall, stay inside the roped in public beach area. Unless you are on a "special guided trip" with SH folks, if you go outside the ropes you are trespassing, which is never good. Even more important, they now have SH reps patrolling the beach and are prosecuting everyone caught trespassing.

 

Quite a few of those SH beach patrol reps are on TFF.

 

Cheers and happy hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl
1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

 

Just remember at Stratford Hall, stay inside the roped in public beach area. Unless you are on a "special guided trip" with SH folks, if you go outside the ropes you are trespassing, which is never good. Even more important, they now have SH reps patrolling the beach and are prosecuting everyone caught trespassing.

 

Quite a few of those SH beach patrol reps are on TFF.

 

Cheers and happy hunting!

Yep! Literally need to stay in the bounds of the law there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashemdbouk

Thank you all for the advice! I'm heading over this week, wish me luck (and many teeth)! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
6 minutes ago, hashemdbouk said:

Thank you all for the advice! I'm heading over this week, wish me luck (and many teeth)! :)

Good luck and many teeth! :fingerscrossed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashemdbouk

Here's a delayed recap of the trip!

A little snow storm the night before couldn't stop me from driving down from NYC to good old North Beach, MD, to try my hand at finding some Calvert Cliffs beauties (shark teeth, that is...). A pretty uneventful drive (4.25 hours, not too bad) got me straight at brownies beach, which was a short walk down to the beach, and that beach (while small) is beautiful, especially when you get there at sunrise! For the next 1.5 days, i spent the days walking up and down the beach, made it once around the bluff to the little beach area (storm had knocked down a couple of trees around the bend making it hard to get there), visited and hiked the Calvert Cliffs State Park (where i met an awesome volunteer who showed me some teeth he'd found including one he couldn't identify which i helped him with thanks to pics here and by the fossil guy), tried out a small brewery (Scorpion brewing, great IPA if you're ever in that area) and had good food and a relaxing time! While i was not lucky enough to find any big teeth myself, i did see a guy pull out of the surf a 5" Meg that was broken in half but still a beauty! And i got to meet two people from the forum! They said they were not too active on the forum but were visiting the area and had seen this post which made them come to Brownies beach! small world :) And thanks to @HoppeHunting for the advice to bring a sifter, to make up for not finding any major big teeth, i spent a good chunk of time sifting and found some great small teeth. And i found my first vert and ray teeth for first time! Mild success in terms of teeth, great success in terms of stepping away from work and having a relaxing, fossil-centered trip! Thank you all again for the advice. Below are some pics of the beach and my finds. Happy to go again with someone more knowledgeable, i'd still love to snag a nice, large tooth... Cheers

 

 

road to beach.jpg

beach 2.jpg

sunrise.jpg

beach 1.jpg

vert.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

gastropod.jpg

teeth on plate.jpg

teeth 2.jpg

crab.jpg

crab pincer.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

Glad you got some good hunting in! Do return, the big teeth are there, waiting for you to find them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Nice finds!

Always nice to get away from work, particularly when You get to look for fossils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoppeHunting

Fantastic pictures! Love the report, and glad to hear that you found my advice helpful. You got some cool finds, and it looks like you really enjoyed the beautiful Brownie's Beach. Best of luck on your next fossil adventure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl

That's quite a good vert! I also noticed what looked like a sponge/coral in the 3rd to last image. Close-up? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashemdbouk
On 4/5/2018 at 11:21 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

That's quite a good vert! I also noticed what looked like a sponge/coral in the 3rd to last image. Close-up? :)

 

@MeargleSchmeargl i think it is a coral. Here are some more pics, let me know what you think.

 

coral 2.jpg

coral 3.jpg

coral 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Glad to hear that you had a good time on your trip! Congratulations on finding some nice teeth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Lovely pictures of the landscape and the fossils. 

Some super finds. 

Glad you had a good trip. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
2 hours ago, hashemdbouk said:

let me know what you think.

I think it’s Asterhelia palmata, a coral found in the cliffs. I think they are cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ClearLake

Hashem, that was my wife and I that you talked to on Brownies. It was nice to meet you and looks like you found quite a bit more after we saw you. Good job!  The next time I make it up that way, looks like I’ll have to try sifting. From looking at your finds and a couple of other recent posts, that seems to yield decent results, at least for the smaller stuff. The big teeth probably hang out at more “exclusive” places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
2 hours ago, ClearLake said:

The big teeth probably hang out at more “exclusive” places.

The big teeth are at Brownies, just gotta use every variable to your advantage. Simply walking to the south part of the beach increased your chance, going around the bend increases it tenfold. Every point where someone turned back but you didn’t increases your chance. Sometimes they make it to the main beach too, and sometimes people miss it. Fossil hunting is the art of seeing what others don’t. Just something to keep in mind when hunting the cliffs (or any popular fossil site).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashemdbouk
8 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Hashem, that was my wife and I that you talked to on Brownies. It was nice to meet you and looks like you found quite a bit more after we saw you. Good job!  The next time I make it up that way, looks like I’ll have to try sifting. From looking at your finds and a couple of other recent posts, that seems to yield decent results, at least for the smaller stuff. The big teeth probably hang out at more “exclusive” places.

Glad to have met you both as well! Hopefully our paths and fossil hunts cross again :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashemdbouk
10 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I think it’s Asterhelia palmata, a coral found in the cliffs. I think they are cool!

Thanks for the ID, agree I think it's super cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×