Huh?

Phoenixflood

This is from a trip I had a little while ago down on the Bay. I have no clue to what it is but I have a couple of guesses. Can anyone help me?

post-671-1249952437_thumb.jpg

post-671-1249952454_thumb.jpg

post-671-1249952471_thumb.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Something I spit out when walking by ?

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

From the Dictionary of Icthyology:

"Tilly bone = an unusually thickened bone which may occur in the axial or cranial skeleton of some fishes, e.g. thickenings of haemal and neural spines, postcleithra and anterior cranium in Lagocephalus. Named for Tilly Edinger of Harvard (1897-1967) who studied these structures. Being larger and denser than usual bones, they are often found concentrated on beaches and in middens and, when rounded by wear and wave action, tend to look very unfish-like. Often found in fish in hypersaline environments and may play some part in calcium regulation. Also called hyperostosis, q.v."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks all :) I thought that's what it could be. I've never seen one that was divided like this one.

"heart of stone" hahaha

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest Smilodon
Thanks all :) I thought that's what it could be. I've never seen one that was divided like this one.

"heart of stone" hahaha

Complete tilly bones (aka ballast bones, bladder bones) are always mirror image (divided lengthwise.)

I have one of those in my collection I found it in miocene site in virgina. When I found it I to scratched my head. It was ID for me by Dr Purdy of the smithonian in DC a fish expert for sure. not a very common find either ....... Congrad's B) not like that one..........

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.