Back at it for a bit, then... disaster

Perfect Castaway

A few weeks ago I realized it had been a few years since I fired up my little prep lab. I went through a career change and I've been super busy. Decided it's now time to take a little time for myself. So I bought a few unprepped fossils on that auction site and today I finally got to work. I started on this little gal from the Weeks formation and, of course, my air compressor decides it didn't want to come out of retirement and crapped out on me. Now I have to wait until I can get a new one, just as the fever was striking again. Oh well.

Here's some pics. I forgot to take a before pic, so I had to screen shot the auction listing. It's the one on the far right. The seller listed it as Modocia whiteleyi. 

Screenshot_20180325-171556.jpg

20180325_165011.jpg

Edited by Perfect Castaway
Fixed autocorrect
  • I found this Informative 2

I've always felt that compressors age faster when they're off...;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Its always something.  Next week it will be something else.  I think its called life?  Good luck though

RB

22 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Agreed. Most equipment doesn’t like being ignored. They need to be used periodically at the very least to keep them working well.

1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Agreed. Most equipment doesn’t like being ignored. They need to be used periodically at the very least to keep them working well.

Precisely why I take a neighborhood bird walk every morning. :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Precisely why I take a neighborhood bird walk every morning. :D

:D My dog likes it when we do that too!

I kept my forge happy this weekend. I did a heat treat on 5 knives! Now I have to put handles on all of them which keeps my belt grinder happy.

14 hours ago, ynot said:

Bummer about the compressor, but the bug looks nice.

Thanks. I'm still not finished with it yet. Should look better when I get a new compressor. 

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Too bad. Do you have both air pen and abrader?

I have both. This one only had some surface matrix on it so I just took the abrasive to it. 

4 hours ago, Auspex said:

Yeah, I need to make sure I use the new one regularly to keep it fit. Good excuse to prep more fossils, too.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Its always something.  Next week it will be something else.  I think its called life?  Good luck though

RB

Nothing is ever smooth and easy. My wife is planning or vacation this summer and she was just complaining about that. Fix one problem and another comes in to take it's place. 

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I didn't realize it had been as long as it was. 3 years can really sneak up on you when you're old. 

33 minutes ago, Perfect Castaway said:

I have both. This one only had some surface matrix on it so I just took the abrasive to it. 

That's what I was thinking as I asked. Looks like you could still take a bit more off.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

That's what I was thinking as I asked. Looks like you could still take a bit more off.

Yep, my compressor pooped out on me as I was working on it. Just have to convince my wife that a new one is a necessity :D

1 hour ago, Perfect Castaway said:

Yep, my compressor pooped out on me as I was working on it. Just have to convince my wife that a new one is a necessity :D

Oh, yeah! I forgot about that. I'm sure you'll be able to turn her around.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/