Collecting At the Cretaceous Road Cut Near Fluvanna in Scurry County, Texas

gwestbrook

I made a trip out to the Cretaceous road cut north of Snyder near Fluvanna in Scurry County one 102 degree summer day about 6 years ago. It's labeled on geologic maps as Edwards/Comanche/Walnut unconsolidated. It's fairly well picked over due to it's proximity to Lubbock and Texas Tech, but if you look hard enough between the rocks and in the gravel you can find the more demure fossils such as these Selenia sp echinoids. The one to the upper left is a crab carapace with a partial claw lying next to it.

untitled-1-2.jpg

untitled-1-3.jpg

Nice biodiversity from that site. Those echinoids are exquisite! Congratulations on some excellent finds. 

8 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Nice finds! The Selenia sp. are exquisite.

Thank you! I had boxed them up years ago and had forgotten how nice they were, and how many I had found at that site. 

9 hours ago, LiamL said:

Nice finds, i dont have a sea urchin myself!

Thanks! I'm not sure where in your area would be a good site for those? 

16 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice biodiversity from that site. Those echinoids are exquisite! Congratulations on some excellent finds. 

Thanks! I had not even looked in that box for several years. I had forgotten how nice they were. I remember that I found them in one little grouping below a rock face at the site. 

20 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I like those cidaroids.

Thanks! I had forgotten how nice they were. I had not opened that box in years. 

16 hours ago, Monica said:

Oh my gosh - what gorgeous echinoids!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Thank you! I was pretty happy when opened that box after several years sitting on a shelf in my barn and finding out that they were quite nice. :)

21 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Great finds.:envy:

Thanks!  I was quite surprised at the quality when I opened that box for the first time in so many years. 

The Fluvanna site is not a very prolific site at all due to it's close proximity to Texas Tech and Lubbock. I was very lucky to find those there.